Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

English Idioms2

4 participants

Page 7 sur 40 Précédent  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Suivant

English Idioms2 - Page 7 Empty Re: English Idioms2

Message  MurielB Mer 28 Mai - 23:34

Gérard here are other interesting words
http://clickonenglish.blogspot.fr/2013/02/do-you-have-crush-on-idioms.html
Love at first sight
soul mates
Puppy love (Love among adolescents)
to be on cloud nine. (to be very happy)
I will try to find more.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  gerardM Ven 30 Mai - 21:31

To HANG SOMEONE OUT TO DRY is to leave that person in a difficult situation, to stop supporting that person. News & Star (Carlisle, Cumbria, UK): <<Former Commons deputy speaker Nigel Evans makes a good case for Legal Aid ...
Innocent people who have been “dragged through the courts” shouldn’t face financial ruin, he says. And he’s absolutely right. ...
No argument there. An innocent man should shoulder no burdening penalty when he walks free from court. Neither should innocent people without a hope in hell of raising the price of decent representation be hung out to dry for want of private wealth.>>

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  gerardM Ven 30 Mai - 21:54

NO-BRAINER: an easy decision, an obvious choice. YourCanterbury.co.uk: <<Gillingham striker Danny Kedwell says his decision to sign a new two-year deal with the club he supports was “a no-brainer”.
Kedwell, the club’s top scorer in his first two seasons, told the club website: “There were a few clubs interested, but first I wanted to see what I was getting offered here – they gave me the two-year deal and I enjoy playing for the club I support.
“It’s also easier for me just to be here with my family, so it was a no-brainer, really.>>

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 30 Mai - 22:09

English Idioms2 - Page 7 Temp60

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 1 Juin - 22:42

apple of your eyeA person, usually a child, who is the apple of your eye is one for whom you have great affection.
My grandson is the apple of my eye.
in the blink of an eyeIf something happens in the blink of an eye, it happens nearly instantaneously, with hardly enough time to notice it.
The pickpocket disappeared in the blink of an eye.
catch someone's eyeIf someone catches your eye, you find them attactive.
The pretty girl near the door caught his eye.
half an eyeIf you have or keep half an eye on something, you watch it without giving it your full attention.
She kept half an eye on the TV screen while she was preparing dinner.
in the eye of the stormA person or organization who is in the eye of the storm is deeply involved in a difficult situation which affects a lot of people.
The minister was often in the eye of the storm during the debate on the war in Iraq.
in one mind's eyeIf you can visualise something, or see an image of it in your mind, you can see it in your mind's eye.
I can see the village in my mind's eye but I can't remember the name.
in the twinkling of an eyeThis expression means 'very fast' or 'instantaneously'.
Public opinion can change in the twinkling of an eye.
look someone in the eyeIf you look someone in the eye, or eyes, you look at them directly so as to convince them that you are telling the truth, even though you may be lying.
He looked the boss in the eye and said he saw nothing.
more than meets the eyeThis expression means that something is more complicated or more interesting than it first appears.
They say it's just a disagreement, but we think there's more to it than meets the eye.
one in the eyeIf an event or development is an unexpected disappointment or defeat for someone, you can say that it is one in the eye for that person.
My promotion was one in the eye for my ambitious colleague.
see eye to eyeIf you see eye to eye with somebody, you agree with them.
I'm glad we see eye to eye on the choice of colour scheme.
spit in someone's eyeIf you spit in someone's eye, you treat that person with disrespect or contempt.
Your father raised you as best he could.  Don't start spitting in his eye.
turn a blind eyeIf you turn a blind eye to something, you pretend not to notice what someone is doing.
The old man turns a blind eye when he sees children taking apples from his garden.
before your very eyesIf someone does something before your very eyes, they do it in front of you, without attempting to hide what they are doing.
Before my very eyes, he took the rubbish and threw it into the neighbour's garden!
eagle eyesSomeone who has eagle eyes see or notices things more easily than others.
Tony will help us find it - he's got eagle eyes!
eyes like a hawkIf you've got eyes like a hawk, you have good eyesight and notice every detail.
Of course Dad will notice the scratch on his car - he's got eyes like a hawk.
eyes on stalksIf your eyes are on stalks when you look at something, they are wide open with surprise or amazement.
The child's eyes were on stalks as he watch the magician's performance.
eyes wide openIf you do something with your eyes (wide) open, you are fully aware of what you are doing.
I took on the job with my eyes wide open so I'm not complaining.
feast one's eyes onIf you feast your eyes on something, you are delighted and gratified by what you see.
As he drove along the coast, he feasted his eyes on the beautiful scenery.
lay/set/clap eyes onIf you lay/set/clap eyes on someone or something, you look at or see them.
I've heard of him but I've never clapped eyes on him.
sight for sore eyesThis expression refers to a person or thing that you are happy to see.
Sam! You're a sight for sore eyes! I haven't seen you in a long time!
raise eyebrowsSomeone who raises their eyebrows at something shows surprise or disapproval  by the expression on their face.
When the boss arrived in jeans, there were a lot of raised eyebrows.
not bat an eyelidTo say that someone does not bat an eyelid means that they do not seem shocked or surprised, not are they nervous or worried.  They show no emotion.
When the sentence was pronounced, the prisoner didn't bat an eyelid.

Thanks Gérard. I thought it would be good to add a few more.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 2 Juin - 10:50

Hi Muriel,

Thanks a lot for these eye idioms.
It's interesting to feel differences between cultures, to find the French corresponding idioms.
(I don't have much time and won't do this for all of them -at the moment-).

> apple of your eye
La prunelle de vos yeux
I'd have a question here: is "prunelle" the fruit or the physical part?
I would say the apple is rather common and doesn't translate the preciosity of the object (grandson in the example).
> in the blink of an eye
en un clin d'oeil
I've to point out English people have 2 similar expressions: "in the blink of an eye" and "in the wink of an eye".
2 English worlds which are similar by the pronunciation and by the physical movement.
> catch someone's eye
I'd say that for an object, the French rather say "ça attire l'oeil" and for a person we would prefer "elle m'a tapé dans l'oeil"... what do you think?
> half an eye
un oeil
I'd say that "je ne regarde que d'un oeil", do you have better?
The English still pay less attention than the French :)The En expression may have been created by a one-eyed person.
> in the eye of the storm
Dans l'oeil du cyclone
Do the French use this expression in the figurative meaning? I guess not, comments?
> in one mind's eye
???
> in the twinkling of an eye
en un clin d'oeil
A 3rd English expres​sion(for 1 in French) with 3 words sounding similarly.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 12 Juin - 21:49

Hi Gérard, everyone
Do you know this one

go off the rails (informal)
to start behaving strangely or in a way that is not acceptable to society He went off the rails in his twenties and started living on the streets. By the law of probabilities if you have five kids, one of them's going to go off the rails.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 12 Juin - 22:56

Hi Muriel,

Thanks for your posting.
MurielB a écrit:Hi Gérard, everyone
Do you know this one

go off the rails (informal)
to start behaving strangely or in a way that is not acceptable to society He went off the rails in his twenties and started living on the streets.
French has got a similar expression: "sortir des rails".

By the law of probabilities if you have five kids, one of them's going to go off the rails.
I am shocked by this "law of probabilities": do manners taught by parents obey probabilities?? not in my family: nobody ever went to jail in my family tree Laughing

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 13 Juin - 10:29

I am shocked by this "law of probabilities":
Yes Gérard, the law of probability are shocking. As I hav 4 brothers I must be the one who went off the track  Very Happy 

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 13 Juin - 19:31

Muriel,

I don't mean probabilities are shocking (they allow to set up theories) but not in the domain of education - parents do have a big role.
I don't think children's behaviors are random; neither do school results (I'm not speaking about genius).

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 1 Fév - 19:09

Hi Muriel,

Thanks for this video but what are these colors (flag?) in the middle of my screen?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 1 Fév - 21:18

No idea what they are for ? scratch

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 4 Avr - 21:27

English Idioms

Names of hats. In North America you also often see the so-called Lapp hat, a wool hat with a braided string on each side, and the Greek fisherman's hat, a cap with a braided string across the front.

(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 4 Avr - 21:33

Thanks Gérard for the hat vocabulary I don't know much about ! Sad

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 4 Avr - 21:46

Muriel,

>
It's a shame
LOL
You absolutely must know them all when you go to a TV game with "stupid" questions such as "Who wants to be a millionnaire"... you're going to lose money!!! Wink

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 4 Avr - 21:47

OK, Gérard ! I will follow your advice ! Smile

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 12 Mai - 22:37

SWAN SONG: a final performance before dying. May be used for an organization as well as for an individual. The idiom is based on the (erroneous) idea that swans sing before dying. The Guardian (London): <<RIP, American Idol. After 15 seasons of singing, squawking, bitching, Simon Cowell’s V-necks and Ryan Seacrest’s ceaseless smarm, Fox has finally had enough. Following a ratings plummet the network has declared this will be the final season of the singing show that was once nicknamed the Death Star for its ability to wipe out competition. As we prepare for Idol’s swan song, here are our top five moments.>>

Easy peasy: the same as in French.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 16 Mai - 21:38

OUT IN THE STICKS: far out in the country, not near any major city. Of American origin, but now more widely used. Oxford Mail (UK): << She said: “The manager at the time said ‘I’ve got just the job for you’ because the majority of my passengers are old-age pensioners and I’ve never looked back.

“I love my job. The routes I do are out in the sticks – Chinnor, Thame, Watlington. It’s more or less the same bus every day so you get to know the passengers.” >>

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 17 Mai - 15:46

Here's another expression with "stick"

up sticks
(British & Australian) also pick up sticks (Australian)
to leave the place where you have been living=> I was even thinking I might up sticks and move to somewhere completely new.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Dim 17 Mai - 15:46

Here's another expression with "stick"

pick up sticks
 (British & Australian) also pick up sticks (Australian)
to leave the place where you have been living=> I was even thinking I might pick up sticks and move to somewhere completely new.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 22 Mai - 18:09

RED MEAT: strong material in a speech, designed to whip up enthusiasm in a crowd of supporters. This is American, and it's showing up frequently in writings about American supporters. Slate.com: <<Among conservatives, Cruz is popular and influential. He led House Republicans in a politically quixotic but financially successful drive to shut down the government in opposition to Obamacare, and he plays well with conservative audiences, who devour his blend of red meat and erudition. (He likes to cite philosopher John Rawls, for example). >>

If something "plays well," it goes over well, it is well received.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 22 Mai - 21:31

Gérard, we can also say "There isn't much meat to his argument.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 23 Mai - 20:35

A LEG UP: help leading to an advantage. CBS Local Philadelphia:
<<Bucks County Conference Aims To Give Girls A Leg Up in ‘STEM’ Careers

DOYLESTOWN, Pa. (CBS) — Hundreds of girls in Bucks County, Pa. will have a chance tomorrow to connect with mentors who can help them pursue so-called “STEM” careers.

STEM, of course, stands for science, technology, engineering, and math.>>

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 5 Juin - 17:11

ROBBING THE CRADLE: marrying or being in a relationship with someone much younger. This idiom has a critical flavor. Fashion & Style:
<<Ana Barbara Robbing The Cradle With New Boyfriend 15 Years Younger Than Her?
Mexican grupero singer Ana Barbara is 43-years-old but she's clearly young at heart. The Latin Grammy winning singer, model and TV personality is currently in a relationship with a new boyfriend 15 years her junior.
According to reports from Univision, the two lovebirds were seen shopping happily in Los Angeles. Ana Barbara is still a stunning beauty even at her age, and she seemed very affectionate and comfortable with her 28-year-old new love.>>

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 7 Juin - 19:39

By the way do you know that
New Study Says, Robbing the Cradle Makes Men Live Longer, Women Die Sooner!

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 7 sur 40 Précédent  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Suivant