Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

English Idioms2

4 participants

Page 9 sur 40 Précédent  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Suivant

English Idioms2 - Page 9 Empty Re: English Idioms2

Message  gerardM Mar 14 Juil - 17:53

GO TO GREAT LENGTHS: make a strong effort to achieve a certain result. Wall Street Journal: <<LONDON— Adam Stratton showed up just after 5 a.m. last Wednesday to an underground shopping mall here in the Canary Wharf business district. He wouldn’t leave for 28 hours.
The purpose of his vigil: to hold a spot in line for his boss, a nightclub owner who wanted to buy a condominium in 10 Park Drive, a new 345-unit development in the area. Mr. Stratton, a 23-year-old bouncer, was paid £300 ($466) for his effort.

In London’s booming housing market, buyers are still going to great lengths to secure their investments. That is especially so areas in away from the center, where prices were up only 1.6% in May from a year earlier compared with a 10.1% rise across the whole of London, according to property-analytics firm Hometrack.>>

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  gerardM Mar 14 Juil - 19:43

What a Face

Idiom #79: Out of The Blue [Top 100 Famous Idioms] | English Passio
ENGLISHPASSIO.COM|PAR AUTHOR NAME HERE

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 14 Juil - 23:11

gerardM a écrit:GO TO GREAT LENGTHS: make a strong effort to achieve a certain result. Wall Street Journal: <<LONDON— Adam Stratton showed up just after 5 a.m. last Wednesday to an underground shopping mall here in the Canary Wharf business district. He wouldn’t leave for 28 hours.
The purpose of his vigil: to hold a spot in line for his boss, a nightclub owner who wanted to buy a condominium in 10 Park Drive, a new 345-unit development in the area. Mr. Stratton, a 23-year-old bouncer, was paid £300 ($466) for his effort.

In London’s booming housing market, buyers are still going to great lengths to secure their investments. That is especially so areas in away from the center, where prices were up only 1.6% in May from a year earlier compared with a 10.1% rise across the whole of London, according to property-analytics firm Hometrack.>>

Gérard is "to go to great lengths" can be translated in "to make an all-out effort"?

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Mer 15 Juil - 20:37

MurielB a écrit:... Gérard is "to go to great lengths" can be translated in "to make an all-out effort"?
Yes Muriel, it's similar.

> Gérard is "to go to great lengths" can be translated in...
"is... can be..." - Your wording is a bit dodgy Muriel, I assume you didn't read again.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 15 Juil - 20:44

I agree Gérard, I will find something simple.

Gérard Do "to go to great lengths"  and  "to make an all-out effort" mean the same ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 15 Juil - 21:41

English Prepositions (List of English Prepositions) | English Passio
ADD DESCRIPTION HERE
englishpassio.com|Par AUTHOR NAME HERE

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 15 Juil - 21:54

KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL: remain focused on what you're doing, be alert. From games like cricket or baseball. You can also say ON THE BALL, alert. Valley Morning Star (Texas, USA): <<“You have to keep your eye on the ball, and that ball is economic development,” Cascos said, adding Meade and Abbott also discussed Mexico ‘s energy reform and the state’s role in helping to facilitate it. “We talked about energy reform and what we can do in terms of helping each other with infrastructure along both sides of the border.”>>

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 16 Juil - 19:31

It's two-for-one Thursday! WEASEL WORDS are intentionally ambiguous words used to avoid making a definite statement. ("To "weasel out" is to wriggle out of or avoid something, like a weasel, a very flexible animal.) and to PASS THE BUCK is to transfer blame to someone else. Michigan Radio (USA): <<Here’s something I’d like to hear a politician in office say, just once. “My fellow citizens, I screwed up. I made the wrong choice, partly because I was too stubborn to listen to advice.”
“This resulted in bad policy and cost taxpayers money. The fault is mine alone, and I am going to try hard to fix it, and hope I can regain your confidence and your trust.”
Or words to that effect, anyway. I’m not talking about dreary admissions of sexual escapades. I’m not talking about the ritual claims that “mistakes were made,” or the intoning of the formulaic slogan, “I take full responsibility,” which is usually followed by some weasel words indicating the politician is trying to pass the buck to his or her subordinates.>>

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 16 Juil - 19:44

English Idioms

Asking for Approval - Top 10 English Expressions to Use in Speaking and Writing

How to Ask for Approval: Top 10 Expressions in English | English Passio
ADD DESCRIPTION HERE

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 17 Juil - 15:41

TO THE TUNE OF: amounting to, in the amount of. Used for an amount of money only. DNA (India): <<State finance minister Sudhir Mungantiwar told dna that the three companies, which were carved out of the unified Maharashtra State Electricity Board (MSEB) in 2005, had a total of Rs45,685 crore loans, involving interest payouts to the tune of around Rs5,524 crore every year.
"We are in discussions (with financial institutions) for shifting, re-scheduling or re-financing these debts at lower rates of interest… This will be very beneficial," he added. He blamed the previous Congress-NCP-led state government for lack of fiscal discipline.>>

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 18 Juil - 14:59

Idiom #72: Long Story Short [Top 100 Famous Idioms] | English Passio
ADD DESCRIPTION HERE

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 18 Juil - 15:22

Idiom #73: Lose Touch [Top 100 Famous Idioms] | English Passio
ADD DESCRIPTION HERE

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 18 Juil - 22:16

It's settled like clockwork

It runs very well or it progresses very well

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 20 Juil - 22:43

Most Common Grammatical Mistakes And How To Avoid Them (Part I) | English Passio

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 20 Juil - 23:10

Two idioms to start the week! RACE AGAINST TIME: rush to do something before a deadline or requirement. LOCK HORNS: become embroiled in conflict, quarrel. Coconuts Jakarta: <<Widodo is racing against time to create sufficient jobs for the 2 million Indonesians who enter the workforce annually, as he struggles to revive economic growth that has fallen to the weakest pace in around six years. ...
Nine months into his tenure, the signs are not encouraging.
The airport railway line, designed to cut the travel time to one of the world's busiest airports to 30 minutes from as much as three hours, has suffered a delay of at least two years in construction.
Officials have locked horns over its route and how to fund it, but in the absence of significant government support, it hardly offers private investors a worthwhile return.>>

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 20 Juil - 23:22

Idiom #70: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie [Top 100 Famous Idioms] | English Passio
ADD DESCRIPTION HERE

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 21 Juil - 10:00

Here is another one I like
I could hear the grass growing ! To be very aware or discerning; to pay attention to every small detail.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 21 Juil - 15:58

SHOT ACROSS THE BOW: a warning against doing something. Lubbock Online (Texas, USA): <<Steven Sann also was ordered to forfeit $500,000 during the sentencing by U.S. District Judge Dana Christensen in Missoula. Prosecutors said he had transferred that amount to his personal investment accounts.
“Sann engaged in a complex manipulation of tens of thousands of consumers across the country,” Montana U.S. Attorney Michael Cotter said in a statement. “We have held this man accountable for his crimes and sent a shot across the bow warning others who would engage in similar conduct.”>>

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 23 Juil - 14:52

OLIVE BRANCH: peace offering, attempt at reconciliation. Jakarta Globe: <<akarta. A senior official with the Great Indonesia Movement Party, or Gerindra, says the party is willing to back Jakarta Governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama for another term — despite the straight-talking governor leaving the party in protest.
Basuki broke ties with the Gerindra Party last year after it pushed a contentious law through the House of Representatives (DPR) that scrapped direct local elections.
On Thursday, however, businessman Hasjim Djojohadikusumo, a key party patron and brother to Gerindra founder and chairman Prabowo Subianto, said things could be patched up. ...
The support of Gerindra again could prove a major boost for the beleaguered governor come next year’s provincial elections.
Basuki has yet to respond to Gerindra’s olive branch, but Hasjim said Gerindra was willing to reconcile.>>

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 23 Juil - 15:15

What a Face

Idiom #63: Hit the Nail on the Head [Top 100 Famous Idioms] | English Passio
ADD DESCRIPTION HERE

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 23 Juil - 22:59

gerardM a écrit:

Idiom #63: Hit the Nail on the Head [Top 100 Famous Idioms] | English Passio
ADD DESCRIPTION HERE

Thanks Gérard for the funny expressing which is "He hit it right "

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 5 Mar - 11:04, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 24 Juil - 21:37

WALK ON EGGSHELLS: try very hard not to cause trouble or offense. US News & World Report: <<You're a great performer at work, but you lash out at subordinates. Or you're Mr. Nice Guy at the office, but your wife and kids walk on eggshells, waiting for the next outburst. Maybe friends refuse to get in the car with you after that last show of road rage.
Anger management is the process of learning to recognize when you're becoming angry and finding skills to express the emotion in a positive, constructive way. Therapists help people explore the roots of their anger, train them in anger-control techniques and teach them better ways to communicate and ultimately, to manage, reduce and prevent harmful anger. >>

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 24 Juil - 22:26

Idiom #61: Go the Extra Mile [Top 100 Famous Idioms] | English Passio
ADD DESCRIPTION HERE

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 25 Juil - 11:54

He is ready to be carted away

He is very tired...

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 26 Juil - 16:19

HAT TRICK: accomplishing something three times. From the sport of cricket. MSN News: <<First Donald Trump questioned whether Sen. John McCain was truly a war hero.
The he revealed to a South Carolina crowd the personal phone number of Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.), one of his rivals for the Republican presidential nomination.
On Saturday Trump went for the hat trick, gleefully insulting Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker because one of Walker’s fundraisers called the billionaire real estate mogul ‘DumbDumb.’>>

gerardM

Page 9 sur 40 Précédent  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Suivant