Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

The Autralians

2 participants

The Autralians Empty Re: The Autralians

Message  gerardM Jeu 16 Mar - 14:58

G'Day

I wrote several times here, that Australian English has got a special vocabulary.
Needed you know more about the specific vocabulary, then ask Google that will give you lots of links to Web pages on the subject.

Just a few words that I re-discovered today:

What is known as a ranch in the US, as a hacienda in Argentina, is a stockstation down under (at least when specialized in cattle).
What is known as a cowboy in the US and in the world, is a stockman, a ringer, or a jackaroo, or a jillaroo in Australia. Regarding these last 2 words, they are rather funny and I still wonder what they come after (I'm too lazy today to investigate - and I'll have forgotten tomorrow Smile ).

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

The Autralians Empty Re: The Autralians

Message  gerardM Jeu 16 Mar - 16:32

G'Day.

An Ozy word I do like is Stubby: it shows the neverending smile on Australian lips.

As far as I know the word existed in British English long ago (I mean before Australia was "discovered") but Australians declined it.

Stubby initially means short and thick (squat).
in Australia, it means:
- A squat bottle of beer typically holding 375 mils and used in Oz, NZ and Canada
- a Stubby Holder is an isolated object in which they insert their stubby cool while drinking
- stubbies are very short shorts worn by Ozies, dislike the British shorts that reach the knees - Stubies is the name of a clothing co
- similarly a stubby is a short guy usually rather dumb
- Many Ozy sheilas like to wear tshirts on which they offer their thoughts: "I like Stubbies"... and foreigners wonder if they mean beers, shorts, short men, short dicks who knows?
- "a stubby short of a sixpack" see below quote.
stubby

A short, squat beer bottle, especially one with a capacity of 375 ml. The bottle is stubby (short and thick) in comparison with the tall and slender 750 ml beer bottle. First recorded in 1965. The term stubby holder appears a few years later, to describe a casing made of an insulating material, in which a stubby is held (and kept cold) while the contents are being drunk. The expression a stubby short of a sixpack, recorded from the late 1990s, means ‘very stupid; insane’. It is an Australian variation of a common international idiom, typically represented by a sandwich short of a picnic. It combines the Australian stubby with the borrowed American sixpack (a pack of six cans of beer), demonstrating how readily Australian English naturalises Americanisms.

NB: BTW "sheila" is another typically Ozy word... in the beginning it was simply a first name for Irish girls, nowadays a sheila is any girl -informal use (French "nana")-.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

The Autralians Empty The Autralians

Message  MurielB Sam 18 Mar - 22:45

The australians must be very nice and easy going i love their vocabulary !

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es