Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Why are so many young Americans adopting fake British accents ?

Why are so many young Americans adopting fake British accents ? Empty Why are so many young Americans adopting fake British accents ?

Message  MurielB Jeu 30 Nov - 22:42

These young Americans with a British accent are part of Generation Z. This generation was born after 1995 and is under the age of 25. They are young people who are very curious, lucid and informed about society and social media without being disillusioned. We've noticed that they use Cockney slang or Yorkshire dialect to mitigate moments of gene in their daily lives. I've highlighted a few examples but if you'd like to find out more please click on the link.
=> https://amp.theguardian.com
Why are so many young Americans adopting fake British accents?
Kyra Green lives with anxiety, and when she misplaced her boarding pass at the airport gate just before her flight was due to leave, the 26-year-old’s nerves adopted a“fake British accent” 

“I was on a date recently ordering something, and the name of what I wanted came out wrong when I asked for it,” Lieberman said. “So I just talked in a British accent for the rest of the order. It’s a defense mechanism, a kind of buffer from my actual personality.”
For Critter Fink, a 26-year-old New Yorker who works in high-end retail, speaking in a British accent can soften the blow of a dark joke. 

Call it the Gen Z version of keeping calm and carrying on: Amy Walker, an actor and dialect coach, said Brits had long been associated with keeping a stiff upper lip. “We think of them as cerebral and not super emotional,” she said. “The voice can elevate something that feels a little too real in the moment.”

In 2019, American parents on Twitter reported that their children were developing British accents because of all the Peppa Pig they watched. 

Matt Lundquist, a psychotherapist and founder of Manhattan’s Tribeca Therapy, wonders if some of us use the accent when we know we’re being a little too demanding.

“I’ll say ‘no problem’ in that cheery voice, when something is actually a problem

Why are so many young Americans adopting fake British accents ? 31563f10

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Why are so many young Americans adopting fake British accents ? Empty Re: Why are so many young Americans adopting fake British accents ?

Message  MurielB Sam 2 Déc - 8:53

I've read that the popularity of the reality TV show Love Island, the TV series the crown or the Bridgertown chronicle in the United States have made young Americans want to use English words. 
Anyway I don’t understand how it is a defense mechanism. Perhaps English is sexier? Perhaps young Americans want to distance themselves from their emotions?

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas