Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

will independant Scotland speak scots?

2 participants

will independant Scotland speak scots? Empty will independant Scotland speak scots?

Message  MurielB Jeu 2 Fév - 22:12

Several new SNP Members of the Scottish Parliament took their oaths in Scots as well as English. All MSPs are obliged to swear in using English but may repeat the oath or affirmation in another language.

"I depone aat I wull be leal and bear aefauld alleadgance tae her majesty, her airs an ony fa come aifter her anent the laa." That's the oath in Scots, which is how several members chose to say it.
A 2010 survey revealed that a majority of Scotland's population still speak Scots, and want it taught in schools. In other words,could the Scots become the official language ?
Any way it is good for a child to have a strong identity and to be brought up as bilingual don't you think?

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

will independant Scotland speak scots? Empty My answers

Message  ireneO Ven 3 Fév - 11:58

Dear Muriel, twice I wrote an answer to your interesting article and twice it disappeared from the screen because of a mishandling I am responsible for.
I feel disheartened ( as Kristina says) now and I am running out of time!!

Congratulations for your energy!!
Have a good day.

Irène.
ireneO
ireneO

Lieu : Eaubonne café-langues, Ermont
Langues : Française (Langue maternelle), En-US

will independant Scotland speak scots? Empty Re: will independant Scotland speak scots?

Message  MurielB Ven 3 Fév - 14:06

Dear Irène
Is is so kind of you to answer my posts. I enjoy looking for good articles and commenting on them on this site. Anyway, when I see an answer to my messages, "It makes my day" it is a nice expression and I have found its meaning in Internet
The meaning of this phrase or saying, is: you make my day wonderful or better, but we have shortened it to simply say. 'you make my day.' It should be used whenever someone has done something kind, thoughtful and unexpected.
I know somebody from Boulogne spanish table who spent 3 hours writing about his journey in Argentina and unfortunately lost it because i was not saved. I was very sorry for him Sad
I am not in conputors at all but doing that is very useful
Bye for now

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

will independant Scotland speak scots? Empty I will remember that nice expression

Message  ireneO Sam 4 Fév - 15:03

"YOU MAKE MY DAY"

Now, Muriel, I am referring to a few lines you wrote in French.
If I declare 'Tunisia to Tunisians", I hint that it would be fair that these people should be allowed to rule their own country by themselves, in a democratic way and to get rid off whatever dictatorship who doesn't take them on account.
I consider Tunisians as a whole, an entity, a united population.

If I say:" La France aux Français" , you mean more or less clearly that you don't want new comers.
I am not , in such a situation, referring at the goverment but at the population.
I drive people to think I am a racist as I consider that there is a difference between people and that the natives should have kind of priority.

What a bone of contention!!!

Hope you don't suffer too much from the cold.

Irène.
ireneO
ireneO

Lieu : Eaubonne café-langues, Ermont
Langues : Française (Langue maternelle), En-US

will independant Scotland speak scots? Empty Re: will independant Scotland speak scots?

Message  MurielB Sam 4 Fév - 17:47

Dear Irène
The provocative joke from Coluche was funny but a bit stupid. It is not at all what i stand on that matter so I deleted it. i am happy to explain my view-point. Any group:friends,family,polyglot cafe, country must receive new blood from time to time. it is that new blood which gives new ideas, creativity, setting new targets :
very quickly a pond becomes fetid
Thank you for the expression" a bone of contention" and for your answer which made my day sunny sunny

MurielB
MurielB
Admin