Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

True English

+5
Remy
Guilaine
ireneO
MurielB
gerardM
9 participants

Page 2 sur 25 Précédent  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Suivant

true english - True English - Page 2 Empty I should say different from

Message  ireneO Ven 9 Mar - 23:23

Are you sure GERARD that Americans say "different to"?
I doubt it.

Have you heard of that female writer who published a book about children education?
She says French children are given a far better education than American ones.
American parents are eager to do their best for their little beloved ones and rush to get that book which is next to become a blockbuster.

Not surprising but rather funny.

Have a good night.

Irène.
ireneO
ireneO

Lieu : Eaubonne café-langues, Ermont
Langues : Française (Langue maternelle), En-US

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

true english - True English - Page 2 Empty Re: True English

Message  gerardM Ven 9 Mar - 23:38

Hi Irène,

> Are you sure GERARD that Americans say "different to"?
Yes I'm pretty sure.
In American, there're two ways: "different to" or "different than".
"Different than" is more American; the Brits use "different to" as well; "different from" is definitely British (now that depends on where you are: on the eastern coast of the States, you can hear British words; if there're English ancestors in a family, you'll hear a few English words too).

> She says French children are given a far better education than American ones.
I didn't hear about the book but I'm not surprised (I would say it's obvious).
Like for us, English-speaking people are a bit behind re their belief: the clichés say the French woman is always chic, the French speak very well, etc.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  gerardM Sam 10 Mar - 21:01

Hi everyone,

The last example by Cathy on Facebook: "Amazon, Y U NO include Micro-USB cable with Kindle Fire?"
Do American write English??... and... she's a teacher! C\'est vrai!!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 14 Mar - 9:56

Hi Irene ! hi Gérard !

I have just come across an interview from Daniel Radclicff in Vocable (I am a vocable fan because it's easy for me to listen to the CDs when i am home) If that name doesn't ring a bell i can tell you who he is

Daniel Jacob Radcliffe (born 23 July 1989) is an English film and stage actor who rose to prominence playing the title character in the Harry Potter film series.

He says that in Newyork people are different from people in a big city like London for instance. People are far too cool to get overexcited about somebody famous. Londoners turn round and have a look and in Los Angeles he saw 30 paparazzi on scooters chasing round Britney spears. What is so special in New-york then ?

Is it important to respect people's private life ?

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

true english - True English - Page 2 Empty NEW YORK

Message  ireneO Mer 14 Mar - 23:43

Thank you Muriel for your interesting question.

I think New York been, just like Paris a century ago,may be the very place for artists to go,at least for a while.
Each time I see an exposition, I notice that the artist to whom it is dedicated had spent a few years or more in New York. There, he or she had met people able to help, people with whom he had worked.

I am referring to Berenice Abbott, a famous photographer, Wei Wei, a Chinese dissident, Brassaï, Marcel Duchamp, Man Ray, Andy Wharol and so on.

Art and fame are everywhere in NewYork, (misery as well halas), are part of the city and it's the reason for which people who are used in living there don't pay that much attention to the "STARS".

I have never been to New York but I would like to go, to make sur I am right

Have a good night all of yours.

Irène.
ireneO
ireneO

Message  gerardM Jeu 15 Mar - 11:36

Hi Muriel, Irène, hi everyone,

> in Newyork people are different from people in a big city like London for instance.
> People are far too cool to get overexcited about somebody famous.
The guy may be too young to have gotten enough experience Wink

However, I note that there were enough people interested in John Lennon to chase him (and one of them... :-( )

Irène, I would say Paris is similar to NY as many artists are wandering through our capital as well.
I'd say Paris was not on fashion a century ago only but more recently for Montparnasse or Saint-Germain-des-Près and even less for Montmartre: present artists (mainly low level ones) live both in Paris and NY (wasn't Lionel Richie singing in the Métro stations in Paris before reaching celebrity?)
Like in Paris, artists are located in favorite districts of New York (Greenwich Village from late 19th to mid 20th centuries).

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 16 Mar - 14:01

Hi irène ! hi Gérard !

Thank you both for your different view points about New yorK

NewYorkers are just like anyone else, although the pace of life is very fast and people don't have much time to chase a politician or an artist. They might do it but not very often. Am I right ?

Somebody told me that Newyork is a town which never sleeps. Could you add something else about Newyork ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 16 Mar - 21:50

Hi Muriel, Irène, hi everyone,

> Could you add something else about Newyork ?
Like in Paris and any big city, there are oodles of districts which are different: kinda gathering of several big villages. I mean that if you stay in a district, you see people with a social life, working, talking, etc. if you go to another district and stay for a while, you can see a completely different style but again people working, talking, etc. but if you go to Manhattan in the very rush hour, people are in a hurry and ignoring the neighbor (after the rush hour, you retrieve the "village" with its inhabitants and the "borough" becomes nice).

Something that struck me: I remember visiting a weird multireligious location: on the same place, you could have jewish, catholic... events (weddings or others)... the guide told me it was managed by the maffia and, effectively, there was a big box in which we mandatorily sent a bill before visiting. Sorry, I don't remember the name (north of Manhattan).

~~ edit
Look at this Web page -> Multi-Faith Ceremonies weird isn't it? looks like weddings with bride and grrom of different religions affraid
Very pragmatic!!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 17 Mar - 18:17

Hi Gérard ! hi Irène ! hi everyone !

I agree with what you said. There are oodles of districts which are different. Visiting Greenwich village made me feel as though I had escaped from New York City into some small European city. It was really amazing ! very far from Manhattan rush.

I
remember visiting a weird multireligious location

For me religion is just like culture like language. It's fun when it is multireligious. I would have liked to visit your multireligious site but I have not Sad Unfortunately. It is more colourful when people keep their traditions.

The problem is that I favour freedom of thought.Sad

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 17 Mar - 20:09

Muriel, Irène, tous,

Regarding the multi-thingie church, you'd have been disappointed because, there were several changeable sceneries and they just swapped to new crosses etc.
The rest was neutral.

Just practical!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 18 Mar - 17:33

Irène Gérard tous !

So I am pleased, I staid longer in Greenwich village

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 18 Mar - 17:36

Bonsoir à tous,

Si les messages d'Alison -ma nièce de NZ habitant Dubai- me servent souvent de référence pour m'enseigner "l'anglais de la rue" avec ses expressions familières (et pires) dans ses échanges avec ses copines, cette fois, c'est l'inverse !

Les choses ne sont plus ce qu'elles étaient ! Même en se rapprochant de la Reine, on ne parle pas mieux anglais !
Vous savez que les Anglais snobent parfois/souvent les habitants des "anciennes colonies" pour leur état de "convicts" : comme pour la France, ce sont pas mal de repris de justice, de pauvres et de rebuts de la société qui sont partis peupler les Etats-Unis, l'Australie, la Nouvelle Zélande... et ils ne leur pardonnent pas facilement les fautes de langage.

Pourtant, un quiproquo là-derrière !

C'est Matthew -mon petit neveu- qui a quitté Dubai pour aller étudier à Londres et qui souhaitait un bon "mother's day"...
Je m'en suis étonné car, pour moi, mother's day est en mai : je lui ai demandé si c'était un message par ordinateur et une erreur de manip...
Mais c'est aussi sa soeur et son frère qui ont souhaité "mother's day" et Alison et d'autres mères qui ont remercié !

Bon, une belle erreur de ma part car c'est bien "mothering Sunday" au Royaume-Uni (cf prochain post) !

Alison a été un peu vexée par mon message d'autant qu'il y avait une erreur de grammaire dans le texte de Matthew...
Matt a bien la nationalité Française mais son Anglais est bien meilleur que son Français et pourtant il a commis une erreur qu'on trouve chez les Fr : "I want to take this opportunity for thanking you for everything that you have done...".

Comme quoi, se rapprocher de la Reine -puisque Matt est à Londres- n'améliore pas automatiquement le langage ! Wink

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 18 Mar - 17:49

Bonsoir à tous,

Fête des mères, fête des grands-mères, des pères, des grands-pères, etc. je pensais qu'il y avait un peu de commercial dans tout ça mais qu'une fois toute la famille utilisée (il reste les tantes, etc.), on serait tranquille !

Non !

Voila que j'apprends :
When is 2012 Mothers Day?

Mother's Day is celebrated on different days and dates around the world. Most commonly, Mother's Day takes place on the second Sunday in May.
United Kingdom - Fourth Sunday of Lent

Mothering Sunday falls on the fourth Sunday in Lent.

In 2012, Mothering Sunday will fall on March 18. Ireland also celebrates Mothering Sunday.
Mother's Day 2012 in the United States

The United States celebrates Mother's Day on the second Sunday in May.

In 2012, the U.S. date for Mother's Day is Sunday, May 13.
( http://www.mothersdaycentral.com/when/ )

Ainsi donc, c'est bien la fêtes des mères dans les pays affiliés au Royaume-Uni ! Dieu merci, pas aux Etats-Unis !!

... et Wikipedia nous montre la très grande variété des jours à travers le monde !!! L'union des peuples n'est pas pour demain !!!
United Kingdom and Ireland
Main article: Mothering Sunday
In the United Kingdom and Ireland, there is a celebration called Mothering Sunday, which falls on the fourth Sunday of Lent (18 March in 2012). Most historians believe that it originated from the 16th century Christian practice of visiting one's mother church annually on Laetere Sunday,[57] which meant that most mothers would be reunited with their children on this day when young apprentices and young women in service were released by their masters that weekend. As a result of commercialization and secularization, it was then principally used to show appreciation to one's mother, although it is still recognized in the historical sense by some churches, with attention paid to Mary the mother of Jesus Christ as well as the traditional concept 'Mother Church'.

By 1935 Mothering Sunday was less celebrated in Europe.[58] There were efforts to revive the festival in the 1910s–1920s by Constance Penswick-Smith, but it was not revived until US World War II soldiers brought the Mother's Day celebrations to the UK,[59] and it was merged with the Mothering Sunday traditions still celebrated in the Church of England.[60] By the 1950s it had become popular in the whole of the UK, thanks to the efforts of UK merchants, who saw in the festival a great commercial opportunity.[60] People from Ireland and UK started celebrating Mother's Day on the fourth Sunday of Lent, the same day on which Mothering Sunday had been celebrated for centuries.[58] Some Mothering Sunday traditions were revived, such as the tradition of eating cake on that day, although they now eat simnel cake instead of the cakes that were traditionally prepared at that time.[citation needed] The traditions of the two celebrations have now been mixed up, and many people think that they are the same thing.[61]

Mothering Sunday can fall at the earliest on 1 March (in years when Easter Day falls on 22 March) and at the latest on 4 April (when Easter Day falls on 25 April). For many people in the United Kingdom, Mothers Day is the time of year to celebrate and buy gifts of chocolate or flowers for their mothers as a way to thank them for what they do throughout the year.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother's_Day )

gerardM

true english - True English - Page 2 Empty do you know more about New York?

Message  ireneO Dim 18 Mar - 23:08

I am afraid I don't.

I can add only that "ALAS" doesn't have any H ( I beg your pardon for having misspelled that word) and that THE STATUE OF LIBERTY was designed by a French architect whose name is BARTHOLDI which is the name of Mendelssohn as well.

Have a good night , dear friends.

Irène.
ireneO
ireneO

Message  MurielB Lun 19 Mar - 11:37

Hi Gérard, Irène Everyone

Thanks a lot for explaining "Mother's day" or "Mothering 's day" i didn't know that such a word as "Mothering" existed:( Mothering is the act of caring for somebody isn't ?)

The mother link is very important and we have other mothers
Nature is like a mother "Mothernature" and so is our land

"Motherland"which is the country where you were born and to which you feel emotionnaly linked.

My daughter was a bit confused when she was in New york and stressed about forgetting Mother's day.

Thank you Irène I had forgotten that the satue of Liberty was designed by a French architect whose name is Bartholdi.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

true english - True English - Page 2 Empty Neither did I had ever come upon "mothering"

Message  ireneO Lun 19 Mar - 22:34

Hi! all of yours

It may be because my children generally forget to celebrate Mothering Sunday!
They don't need a special day to be kind to me!

Have a good night.

Irène.
ireneO
ireneO

Message  gerardM Lun 19 Mar - 22:58

Hi Irène,

Mothering Sunday doesn't exist in the States.

US Mother's Day is on May 13, 2012.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 21 Mar - 22:16

Hi everyone,

Tonight I learned 2 words (shall I remember them?):

In addition to dork that I didn't know about, there's another synonym: dweeb.

Gosh, dork's got many weid meanings.
My dictionary only speaks about a casual Ameriacn or Australian word (Fr) abruti.
The Web (Urban Dictionary) provides lots of meanings, of which
Often used interchangeably with nerd or geek.
Dorks are typically more noted for their quirky personality and behavior rather than their interests or IQ which may or may not be on level with traditional geeks or nerds. They tend to be more humorous and extroverted and don't mind laughing at themselves or with others at themselves, as the case may be.
After the 1990s, the term dork tended to specifically refer to a person who often shared the characteristics of geeks or nerds but were not ostracized as a result. Also, while old school geeks and nerds tend to continue to accept an "outsider" status and maintain an elite club mentality amongst themselves, dorks generally tend to do the opposite, hence a current preference with the mainstream for dorks over geeks or nerds.

gerardM

true english - True English - Page 2 Empty DORKS NERDS GEEKS DWEEBS

Message  ireneO Mer 21 Mar - 23:25

Dear Gérard,

I have already come upon DORKS and NERDS, if I remember well, some playwrights use them often.

Never heard about the two other ones which are funny with the double ee.

I am not sure I will remember all of them but I am certain that I will never use them publicly or openly.

Take care.

Irène.
ireneO
ireneO

Message  gerardM Mer 21 Mar - 23:39

Hi Irène,

I knew geek and nerd - we often use geek in Franglais, and sometimes nerd.
Geek is positive but nerd is kinda pejorative.
I never heard about dork and dweeb.

Dernière édition par gerardM le Jeu 22 Mar - 9:45, édité 1 fois

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 22 Mar - 9:12

Hi Irène Hi Gerard

i have never come across these weird words . Thank you for sharing what you have just learnt. To remember things i always have to look them up in the dictionary or in internet.

I have seen that geek is guit in french and that it is an american word while

dork is american and british.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 22 Mar - 9:48

Hi Muriel, everyone,

> dork is american and british.
I read dork was American and Australian (not used in the UK).

Be careful as dork has got lots of daring meanings - use it in a very clear context.

gerardM

true english - True English - Page 2 Empty KINDA

Message  ireneO Ven 23 Mar - 10:56

Helleo Gérard,

When you say "kinda" do you mean "kind of"?

Have a good day.

Irène.
ireneO
ireneO

Message  gerardM Ven 23 Mar - 17:50

Hi Irène,

Yes, I confirm: kinda means kind of or a kind of.

Enjoy your day.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 25 Mar - 13:42

Hi Irène ! Hi Gérard ! I Everyone

I have a very interesting video about how has Newyork evolved with the passing years. What do you think ?

1930 During the great depression, the first building are built

1980 Everything is changing but the old buildings and sideways are still there in Broadway and

the world trade center is overhanging the town.

1212 "Downtown from behind project" the tendency is to go cycling round the town.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 21 Oct - 23:04, édité 4 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 2 sur 25 Précédent  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Suivant