Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

let’s talk about women and men

+2
MurielB
gerardM
6 participants

Page 1 sur 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Suivant

let’s talk about women and men Empty I have a Dream Martin Luther 1963

Message  gerardM Dim 25 Aoû - 23:38

Hi everyone,

-> Le "rêve" de Martin Luther King a 50 ans
Cinquante ans plus tard, les mots ont toujours la même force. Des dizaine de milliers d'Américains ont célébré samedi à Washington les cinquante ans du célèbre discours de Martin Luther King, "I have a dream" ("Je fais un rêve"), sur les droits civiques. Pendant plusieurs heures, la foule, en majorité des Noirs, s'est massée sous un ciel bleu autour du bassin faisant face au mémorial de l'ancien président Abraham Lincoln, là où, le 28 août 1963, le pasteur a prononcé son allocution historique contre la ségrégation.
Any comments?

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

let’s talk about women and men Empty Re: let’s talk about women and men

Message  MurielB Lun 26 Aoû - 9:37

Yes Gerard, the American dream gradually filtrates through our world. The president of the United States is black, apartheid no longer exists. Everything is not perfect of course, how can man change in so little time? 50 years is really short but I believe that evolution will go in the right direction Very Happy

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  Remy Lun 26 Aoû - 13:33

Hi Muriel, Gérard, everyone,

yes, and the next country to emerge is not a country but a continent : Africa, which should replace China as the world's factory soon.
Even if the trend seems to be towards the re-localisation of factories in the West...

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

let’s talk about women and men Empty I have a dream! - Martin Luther King 1963

Message  Philippe-Henri Mer 28 Aoû - 22:07

MurielB a écrit:Yes Gerard, the American dream gradually filtrates through our world. The president of the United States is black, apartheid no longer exists. Everything is not perfect of course, how can man change in so little time? 50 years is really short but I believe that evolution will go in the right direction Very Happy
Today, 25 th August, I celebrated the great Martin Luther King and his address «I have a dream», exactly fifty years ago, on 25 th August 1963. I remember that day as if it were only yesterday. His message was broadcasted all over the world. Should anyone feel like, he can view the whole TV report at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smEqnnklfYs

Philippe Henri

Philippe-Henri

Lieu : Lille
Langues : Néerlandais (Langue maternelle), Fr, Gb

Message  gerardM Mer 28 Aoû - 22:22

Thanks for the link Philippe-Henri.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 28 Aoû - 23:40

Barack Obama a salué la mémoire de ces hommes et de ces femmes qui ont marché en 1963 et qui ont "prié pour leurs oppresseurs" plutôt que de les haïr
Gérard, Henri qu'en pense le président Barack Obama ?
http://www.franceinfo.fr/monde/barack-obama-la-marche-de-martin-luther-king-a-rendu-l-amerique-plus-libre-1122889-2013-08-28

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

let’s talk about women and men Empty I have a dream

Message  Philippe-Henri Jeu 29 Aoû - 12:00

[quote="MurielB"]
Barack Obama a salué la mémoire de ces hommes et de ces femmes qui ont marché en 1963 et qui ont "prié pour leurs oppresseurs" plutôt que de les haïr
Gérard, Henri qu'en pense le président Barack Obama ?

To Muriel and Gérard

Both Obama and King’s daughter delivered a fabulous speech in N.Y. yesterday on the celebration of M.L.K’s «I have a dream» of fifty years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CMyMiqO0QGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zpJx9sWPLLk

Ms. King, although a passionate speaker, read out a paper on her lectern. On the other hand, Obama showed his natural ability to address the crowd off the cuff. He’s a great, skillful orator, with a remarkable talent for improvising.

What does Obama really think of M.L.K’s message? Well, King lived in a world of flower power. Time had come to wipe the slate clean of centuries of black slavery, oppression and discrimination at home. Obama and his immediate predecessors, for their part, are politicians facing a world of international conflicts, violence, war and massacres outside the U.S.A. (Vietnam, Chili, Afghanistan, Cambodia, Iraq, Bosnia, Egypt and − currently − the whole Middle-East). So whatever he may have thought, yesterday, of how people in the American sixties dealt with negroes and latino’s, I believe he’s better things to do today. If his eloquence is successful in sweeping crowds along at Lincoln Memorial, he’s still quarrelling with his own Congress over stringent home and foreign policy issues.

Muriel, does this answer your question?

Philippe-Henri

Philippe-Henri

Lieu : Lille
Langues : Néerlandais (Langue maternelle), Fr, Gb

Message  MurielB Jeu 29 Aoû - 21:18

"Loving Your Enemies” is a 1957 King sermon based on one of the most famous passages from the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5:43-48. Here is that passage:
You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Thank you Henri for your answer !  Of course it is important to inquire further into the subject to understand Obama's view point. I should have written in English. here are a few words from Martin Luther king about forgiveness

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

let’s talk about women and men Empty let’s talk about women and men

Message  gerardM Dim 17 Nov - 21:07

To discover other pages please click on the top right. the page numbers appear there.
Merci Hi everyone,

-> What is the difference between women and men?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 17 Nov - 22:56

Hi Gérard !
why so different people want to live together ? scratch

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 18 Nov - 14:25

... would be boring without these differences.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 18 Nov - 14:27

of course, life would be so monotonous....

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

let’s talk about women and men Empty Are women really better at learning languages?

Message  gerardM Mer 15 Jan - 22:10

Hi everyone,

let’s talk about women and men Temp784
The Telegraph
Are women really better at learning languages?

(click pic or link to access article)
When it comes to education, females have certainly been covering lost ground. Girls now outperform boys in GCSEs and women outnumber men at most UK universities.

In the field of language learning, there has been a long-standing idea that females are also more adept at languages than males, excelling in their native tongue and also foreign language study. But is there any truth behind this theory, or is it just academic folklore?

gerardM

let’s talk about women and men Empty women aged over 40

Message  Invité Jeu 23 Jan - 21:27

Bonsoir à tous ...

Reasons to appreciate women aged over 40 years ...

A woman over forty will never wake you in the middle of the night to ask, “What are you thinking?” She doesn’t care what you think.
If a woman over forty doesn’t want to watch the game, she doesn’t sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do. And, it’s usually something more interesting.
A woman over forty knows herself well enough to be assured in who she is, what she is, what she wants and from whom.
Few women past the age of forty give a hoot what you might think about her or what she’s doing.
Women over forty are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant.
Of course, if you deserve it, they won’t hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.
Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it’s like to be unappreciated.
A woman over forty has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends.
A younger woman with a man will often ignore even her best friend because she doesn’t trust the guy with other women.
Women over forty couldn’t care less if you’re attracted to her friends because she knows her friends won’t betray her.
Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over forty. They always know.
A woman over forty looks good wearing bright red lipstick. This is not true of younger women.
Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over forty is far sexier than her younger counterpart.
Older women are forthright and honest. They’ll tell you right off if you are a jerk, if you are acting like one!
Yes, we praise women over forty for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it’s not reciprocal.
For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed hot woman of forty-plus, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some twenty-two-year-old waitress.
Ladies, I apologize. For all those men who say, “Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" ?”
Here’s an update for you ...
Now 80 percent of women are against marriage, why?
Because women realize "it’s not worth buying an entire pig, just to get a little sausage" !

Invité
Invité

let’s talk about women and men Empty women aged over 40

Message  MurielB Jeu 23 Jan - 22:38

Hi Krystyna.
I don't know what to say about  women aged over 40 but I am excessively happy to see you back on the forum

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mar 10 Mar - 11:42, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 23 Jan - 23:11

Hi Krystyna, Muriel, everyone,

Thanks for these words Krystyna.

Thanks for this funny expression I didn't know: "... don't give a hoot (or two hoots)" Wink
The last lines deserve an improvement with: "... unless you can get more than the little sausage". Smile Understand what you want (I meant: worth marrying Bill Gates, Arnaud Lagardère, Nicolas Sarkozy et al).

gerardM

Message  Guilaine Ven 24 Jan - 15:22

Excellent, Krystina. You should pass it on to Valérie Trierweiler. That should soothe her !
Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  Invité Ven 31 Jan - 13:27

Hi Guilaine,
Somehow I think Mme Trierweiler will not suffer too much from this debacle.
She will write a book, have her own talk show on TV (maybe take Vivement Dimanche), they will make a movie, and she will have millions of euros while living in luxury.
M. Hollande, on the other hand, will have nothing !
No wife, no high profile job, he will just have the infamy of being a goose !
One has to wonder what magical power he has over good-looking successful women (I suppose he is very talented in the underpants department !!!)

Invité
Invité

Message  Guilaine Ven 31 Jan - 18:09

Hi Krystyna ,

Belonging to a man with power or money is attractive, no matter the physical appearance, I suppose.
Think of all the beautiful young women who "marry" old men ! They bet on the future, of course.
But Mr. H is more cautious, no need to sign. He is the leader and doesn't bother with scruples of any kind.
Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  gerardM Ven 31 Jan - 18:12

No matter, Valérie got fame and will be able to convert this into cash.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 31 Jan - 22:50

Hi Krytyna, Guilaine, Gérard ! 
 Powerful and not so Young rich men and pretty Young ladies usually attract one another
Perhaps the Young lady is unconsciously looking for her father because she needs protection? money ?Perhaps the rich man has everything apart from his youth and wants to be Young again ?
What about women over forties ? Wink

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  Remy Sam 1 Fév - 4:21

Hi everyone,

you say that a young woman who is interested in an older man is obviously interested in money or power. But what about desire ?  Cool

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  gerardM Sam 1 Fév - 13:14

Hi Muriel, everyone
MurielB a écrit:... What about women over forties ? Wink
Hm I guess rich women over 40 are "attractive" as well: Liliane Bettencourt? another very recent buzz?

gerardM

let’s talk about women and men Empty Recovery from stroke harder on women than men

Message  gerardM Ven 7 Fév - 23:40

Hi everyone,

-> Recovery from stroke harder on women than men

Read this interesting web page.

Note "On Thursday, the American Heart Association issued its first-ever guidelines for preventing strokes in women" and watch, and listen to, and read the page pointed by the hypertext link.

gerardM

let’s talk about women and men Empty Portraits of Strength: Seven Extraordinary Women

Message  gerardM Ven 6 Mar - 22:49

Howdy.

National Geographic Magazine

In honor of International Women's Day, seven female photographers shared images that reveal a woman's experience. See their photographs, which tell stories of hope, bravery, and survival.

Portraits of Strength: Seven Extraordinary Women
"Somewhere between fear and sorrow there are often tears. I have seen pools of them."
PROOF.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM|PAR JESSIE WENDER

gerardM

Page 1 sur 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Suivant