Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

brain and psycho

5 participants

Page 2 sur 4 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4  Suivant

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Re: brain and psycho

Message  MurielB Mer 11 Juin - 8:54

Music can improve verbal IQ, aid in heart disease treatment, evoke colours in the mind and even help you see happy faces all around
Thanks Gérard for this very interesting article. I wanted to know more about music beneficial effects
http://www.spring.org.uk/2013/09/10-magical-effects-music-has-on-the-mind.php

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Game makers eager to pick your brain with neurogaming vocable 693 by Steve Johnson

Message  MurielB Mar 18 Nov - 20:37

http://phys.org/news/2014-06-game-makers-eager-brain-neurogaming.html
Unlike most video games, it doesn't rely solely on a mouse or joystick. Instead, its players also don a headset that enables them to hurl trucks or other virtual objects simply by thinking.
NEUROGAMING

-What is it? Video games that incorporate the player's brain waves, heartbeat, facial expressions or other physiological functions into the virtual action.

-How is that done? By using such technology as EEG headsets, which record electrical activity along the player's scalp.

-What's next? Games that help players think better and learn. That includes using transcranial direct current stimulation, which administers mild electrical currents to the person's brain.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-06-game-makers-eager-brain-neurogaming.html#jCp

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Mar 18 Nov - 22:20

Hi everyone !
Mind you, we are not only dealing with games ! Anyway they could one day be useful in medicine couldn't they ? People suffering from Alzheimer's disease or attention deficit will greatly benefit from those games.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 19 Nov - 0:08

We might all become players soon as with early detection, people are on the brink of Alzheimer.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Do Brain Games Really Improve Your Brain?

Message  gerardM Ven 5 Déc - 19:17

[center]Howdy.
[url=http://bit.ly/1zuUrKd]
Discovery News

The makers of several brain games say that the products can improve cognitive function. Is there any truth to this? Julian reveals the truth.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 5 Déc - 22:09

Hi Gérard, everyone !
Yes that idea rings a bell for me and I remember a similar discussion in our forum.  

https://www.cafe-polyglotte.com/t2937-jeux-video-super-mario-developpe-la-matiere-grise-du-cerveau? highlight=jeux+sur+ordinateur
Do video games make the brain grow ?
I think it is better to play a video game than sleep in front of the television. I am sure that seniors benefit from video games playing. Anyway do we become more intelligent ? I don't think so. The more you play them, the more your brain improves at playing those games. That 's all in fact.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 5 Déc - 22:34

Hi Muriel,

I guess we have to distinguish between seniors and juniors.

True that senior's brain is improved as without "games" it would be destroyed/dammaged: the result is good.

For juniors, I suppose that it just improves a few neurones involved in the game and the outcome on "cleverness" is nothing.

Exercises (I'm not using the word "game") have to be varied to train all parts of the brains.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 5 Déc - 23:00

Gerard a écrit:Exercises (I'm not using the word "game") have to be varied to train all parts of the brains.

Very true !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Smartphones and computers are literally changing your brain!

Message  gerardM Sam 13 Déc - 16:33

[center]Howdy.
[url=http://dne.ws/13hYdN1]
Discovery News

HOW SMARTPHONES IMPROVE YOUR MEMORY: Smartphones and computers are literally changing your brain!

gerardM

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Childhood neglect erodes the brain

Message  gerardM Mer 28 Jan - 16:47

Hi there.

News from Science

New analysis reveals that children who were neglected as infants 
have less white matter in their brains. The finding suggests that sensory deprivation early in life can actually impact the brain's anatomy, and may help explain long-term negative affects on behavior.

Childhood neglect erodes the brain
Latest study of Romanian orphanages finds loss of white matter in young children
NEWS.SCIENCEMAG.ORG

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 28 Jan - 23:08

Hi Gérard, everyone
It is very sad and I don't like the idea that neglected children are doomed to fail. I like the following idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_resilience

Psychological resilience is defined as an individual's ability to properly adapt to stress and adversity. Stress and adversity can come in the shape of family or relationship problems, health problems, or workplace and financial stressors, among others.[1] Individuals demonstrate resilience when they can face difficult experiences and rise above them with ease. Resilience is not a rare ability; in reality, it is found in the average individual and it can be learned and developed by virtually anyone. Resilience should be considered a process, rather than a trait to be had.[2] There is a common misconception that people who are resilient experience no negative emotions or thoughts and display optimism in all situations. Contrary to this misconception, the reality remains that resiliency is demonstrated within individuals who can effectively and relatively easily navigate their way around crises and utilize effective methods of coping.[3][4][5][6] In other words, people who demonstrate resilience are people with positive emotionality; they are keen to effectively balance negative emotions with positive ones.[1]

Boris Cyrulnik is one of my favourites authors, he had a very difficult childhood and he wrote many books about psychological resilience. He suffered a lot when he was a child and can talk about that !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Cyrulnik

Being of Jewish origin, he was entrusted to protection from a foster family. In 1943 he was taken with adults in a nazi-led capture in Bordeaux. He avoided detention by hiding for a while in the restrooms and later being hidden from Nazi searches as a working boy under the false name Jean laborde in a farm until the end of the war. His survival of nazi destruction motivated his career into psychiatry.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 29 Jan - 12:24

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

I hope I didn't make too many mistakes with my own children.
My conception of education is still "stricter" (has always been like this); in a few words:
- except neurological accidents, a baby has lots of (potential) skills, like if they had wings permitting to go everywhere
- education consists in cutting children's wings with too many nos and bans; the results are that they lose lots of capacities
- at the age of 2-3 months, children can smile wonderfully with their mouths and wide-open eyes
- at the age of 7-9, we can already see sad children...
- let's keep their smiles and happiness, and all-weather capacities.

Let's our children grow up at their own pace... just according to their needs (let's just encourage them to go to independence -that implies much-).
(I hope pediatricians will agree with me)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 29 Jan - 13:35

I hope I didn't make too many mistakes with my own children.
Gérard I know that you have educated your children with a lot of love and that is what is important. What you say rings a bell. I have read somewhere that nobody can be a good mother (or father) but a fairly good mother(or father). Everyone makes mistakes and it is up to the children to correct our mistakes(If they are intelligent enough)

- at the age of 7-9, we can already see sad children...
I have read to Patrick what you have written.He said that at the age of 6,7 months  babies start feeling anguish (separation anxiety at first). It is normal and a driving force in life.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 29 Jan - 19:09

Thanks for your response Muriel.

> - at the age of 7-9, we can already see sad children...
Sorry for the ambiguity, I meant 7-8 year old.
At this age, children should look carefree but we can see sad guys.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 29 Jan - 23:10

OK I understand better. Anyway I think that neglected children can improve after the age of 7.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_resilience They can meet wonderful and loving people when they are older. These people can aid them in the recovery process. Not so easy but possible.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Five Common Myths about the Brain

Message  gerardM Lun 16 Fév - 19:59

Howdy.

Scientific American magazine

5 common myths about the brain that can lead to faulty teaching practices.

Five Common Myths about the Brain
Some widely held ideas about the way children learn can lead educators and parents to adopt faulty teaching principles
SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM

gerardM

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Brain Games: How Reliable is Your Memory?

Message  gerardM Mar 17 Fév - 11:33

Howdy.

National Geographic

Whether its recognizing a long lost friend or simply remembering where you parked the car, your memory shapes the way you interact with the world. Test your own memory tonight with a new episode.

Brain Games: How Reliable is Your Memory?
Test your long- and short-term memory strength with these interactive quizzes - and tune into #BrainGames at 8pm EST tonight on the Nat Geo Channel.
BRAINGAMES.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

gerardM

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty After learning new words, our brain sees them as pictures....

Message  MurielB Ven 27 Mar - 22:17

When we look at a known word, our brain sees it like a picture, not a group of letters needing to be processed. That's the finding from a new study that shows the brain learns words quickly by tuning neurons to respond to a complete word, not parts of it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150324183623.htm?utm_source=feedburner

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Intuition May Reveal Where Expertise Resides in the Brain

Message  gerardM Mar 26 Mai - 15:08

Howdy.

Experts make decisions in a flash, but not without thought.

Intuition May Reveal Where Expertise Resides in the Brain
Our ability to provide rapid, accurate answers engages a small area in the brain’s basal ganglia, a hub for learning and automatic behaviors
SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM|PAR CHRISTOF KOCH

gerardM

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Needle Injects Healing Electronics into the Brain

Message  gerardM Lun 8 Juin - 23:36

Howdy.

Discovery News

NEEDLE INJECTS HEALING ELECTRONICS INTO THE BRAIN - Tiny mesh electronics stuffed into a needle are injected into the brain where they can repair damage.

Needle Injects Healing Electronics into the Brain : DNews
Tiny mesh electronics stuffed into a needle are injected into brain, where they could repair damage or deliver therapeutic stem cells.
NEWS.DISCOVERY.COM

gerardM

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Overworking Your Brain Can Spark Ideas

Message  gerardM Mar 9 Juin - 22:24

Howdy.

How to be more creative? Work yourself to exhaustion, lose your inhibition, and the ideas flow.

Overworking Your Brain Can Spark Ideas
Mental exhaustion can unleash creativity, research shows
SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM|PAR MADHUVANTHI KANNAN

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 10 Juin - 8:13

When we are tired, our mind can be too weary to control our thoughts, and eccentric ideas that might normally be filtered out as non-relevant can bubble up
Gérard i didn't know about this. It's very interesting !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Here’s How Lack of Sleep Changes Your Brain

Message  gerardM Lun 20 Juil - 23:29

Howdy.

Staying Alive is Not Enough

Here’s How Lack of Sleep Changes Your Brain | StethNews
Everyone has something to be busy about, but there usually aren’t enough waking hours to finish everything that needs to be done. This is why students,
STETHNEWS.COM|PAR STETH TEAM

gerardM

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Important Link Between Brain and Immune System Found

Message  gerardM Mar 21 Juil - 23:22

Howdy.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, it would appear that the brain does in fact have a lymphatic system linking it directly the peripheral immune system.

Important Link Between Brain and Immune System Found
The new line of communication prompts rethinking of neurologic disease
SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM|PAR BRET STETKA

gerardM

brain and psycho - Page 2 Empty Poverty Disturbs Children's Brain Development and Academic Performance

Message  gerardM Mer 22 Juil - 21:24

Howdy.

“I used to think about poverty as a question of social policy. Now I think of it as a biomedical problem ... that's affecting kids," says psychologist Seth Pollak.

Poverty Disturbs Children's Brain Development and Academic Performance
Delayed brain development predicts lower tests scores in low-income children
SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM|PAR DIANA KWON

gerardM

Page 2 sur 4 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4  Suivant