Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

How immigration and movement are central in human history

4 participants

How immigration and movement are central in human history  Empty How immigration and movement are central in human history

Message  MurielB Jeu 8 Mar - 15:53

To discover other pages please click on the top right. the page numbers appear there.
http://www.economist.com/node/21548111
This link is very interesting because it shows the most important immigration ever : number of people, distances.

Since Mao's death in 1978 a lot of chinese born in rural zones had to settle down in towns far from the villages where they were born

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 10 Oct - 17:42, édité 4 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

How immigration and movement are central in human history  Empty Re: How immigration and movement are central in human history

Message  gerardM Sam 10 Mar - 21:40

Hi Muriel, everyone,

It's really amazing!

A pity people have to quit their birth region.

On the other hand, they are lucky they can stay in the same country and not be obliged to go abroad like so many people on Earth have to do.

What's best: develop the regions or develop big cities? is there kinda procedure, big cities then regional cities?

Did we do the same in France between the country and Paris?
Did other countries like England? Germany? or are they more balanced?

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

How immigration and movement are central in human history  Empty Re: How immigration and movement are central in human history

Message  MurielB Lun 12 Mar - 21:57

Hi Gérard, hi Everyone !

It's really very difficult to answer those questions. I think the country is nice but it can be boring when you always meet the same people. In a town you have a lot of people to talk to but the surrounding is not very healthy.

In France the farmers have a lot of difficulties and can't stay where they were born. They can't live on their farm especially when it's dairy farming. There are a lot of depopulated rural areas.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  Remy Mar 13 Mar - 7:12

High Muriel, Gerard, everyone,

presently, chinese companies develop factories more inside China because, at the coast, salaries are increasing to a level where they are no more competitive with Indonesia, Vietnam...

For the first time since a long period, China registers a commercial deficit. She buys more than she exports. Her economic model is changing : she is developping her own market.

During the french industrial revolution, I think Paris was the capital and became a very big town, but at the same time, a large number of factories were created in every region. But even 50 kilometres was a great distance for people who left their village for a town... Cool Cool

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

How immigration and movement are central in human history  Empty How immigration and movement are central in human history

Message  MurielB Dim 12 Avr - 11:18

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/immigration-posters-are-everywhere?sub=3749257_5465238
Some immigrants make the UK better if they want to come there to be an active part of life and society.

what do you think of the positive aspects of immigration in the world?

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mer 20 Jan - 22:24, édité 2 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

How immigration and movement are central in human history  Empty Immigration in the USA: tracking down deportation target

Message  Admin Mer 30 Sep - 14:25

How immigration and movement are central in human history  Servic10

In the United States, where illegal immigrant commits an offense and has stopped by the police, it should be easy to extend it to the border. However, laws vary from state to state and does not simplify the task of the federal agency of the Border Police.

If the ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) agent pick up a illegal migrant, contact local jail to check if the's not a criminal. He is realeased only if he's OK.
ICE officals have held up the agency new Priority Enforcement Program as a cheaper and safer alternative to dramatic neightborhood raids.
It is not the case in Europe, right?

Translation
To held up ... présenter
Admin
Admin
Admin

Langues : Français, Gb

https://www.cafe-polyglotte.com

Message  MurielB Mer 30 Sep - 14:58

Thanks Florent for that interesting phrasal verb
To hold up : 1. To obstruct or delay.

2. To rob while armed, often at gunpoint.

3. To offer or present as an example: held the essay up as a model for the students.

4. To continue to function without losing force or effectiveness; cope: managed to hold up under the stress.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 30 Sep - 20:02

Hi Muriel, Florent,

There're a few other meanings Muriel:
hold up (without any complement behind):
1 (remain intact) to hold up well [currency]
2 (remain valid) [theory, argument]
hold [sb/sth] up, hold up [sb/sth]
1 (support) [shelf, picture]; [trousers, stockings]; eg to be held up by or with
2 (raise)  [object]; eg to hold one's hand up
3 (display) eg to hold sb/sth up as an example or model of; to hold sb up to ridicule
4 (delay) [person, flight]; [production, traffic]; [procession]
5 (rob) [train, bank, person]

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 30 Sep - 20:57

Florent,

If you permit me, I'll color in red words that I dislike (mistaken), please could you find out why and fix them? If you prefer, I can give the solution but I guess it's better for you to do this exercise.

Admin a écrit:... In the United States, where illegal immigrant commits an offense and has stopped by the police, it should be easy to extend it to the border. However, laws vary from state to state and does not simplify the task of the federal agency of the Border Police.

If the ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) agent pick up a illegal migrant, contact local jail to check if the's not a criminal.  He is realeased only if he's OK.
ICE officals have held up the agency new Priority Enforcement Program as a cheaper and safer alternative to dramatic neightborhood raids.
It is not the case in Europe, right?

Translation
To held up ... présenter
I hope you're aware that you are using American spelling rather than British spelling: that's fine as I'm doing the same, provided you are aware of it (and know the difference).

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 30 Sep - 21:50

Thanks Gérard and Florent for that very interesting exchange ! I enjoyed it and I learnt a lot ! Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  Admin Mer 30 Sep - 22:34

OK, thanks to be patient with me, especially today because I made a lot of mistakes ... I must be tired!
But I continue to write down ... with mistakes, so why you're "hot" to correct me (I joke, I really appreciate Laughing )

According to immigration in Europe, Calais is the symbol of this human disaster. Listen to the non-governmental associations the problem will increase: for the moment there is only political and economical refugees; but in the future climatic refugees will come.
What do you think?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Langues : Français, Gb

https://www.cafe-polyglotte.com

Message  gerardM Mer 30 Sep - 22:53

Florent,

> I made a lot of mistakes
Mistakes are not a big problem; on the other hand they are opportunities to progress.

In my family...
I was better than my children regarding grammar (as a kid I had to learn grammar a lot) but I stayed speechless for long because I was waiting for perfection (it's the consequence of French schooling 4-5 decades ago: books only).
My kids didn't give a shit, they didn't hesitate to talk, whatever the mistakes and they were right (they learned English in a "laboratoire de langues").
Mistakes are not a big problem.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 2 Jan - 22:11

Qu’est-ce que l’immigration?
Wiki a écrit: Human migration involves the movement of people from one place to another with intentions of settling, permanently or temporarily, at a new location (geographic region). The movement often occurs over long distances and from one country to another, but internal migration (within a single country) is also possible; indeed, this is the dominant form of human migration globally.[1] Migration is often associated with better human capital at both individual and household level, and with better access to migration networks. Age is very also important for both work and non-work migration.[2] People may migrate as individuals, in family units or in large groups.[3] There are four major forms of migration: invasion, conquest, colonization and emigration/immigration.[4]
https://www.pressreader.com/france/vocable-anglais/20201029/
Sonia Shah a écrit: “A wild exodus has begun. It is happening on every continent and in every ocean. In response to the climate crisis, plants and animals that until recently scientists thought were fixed to a particular habitat have been seeking out different surroundings. Butterflies and birds have been edging their way towards the Earth’s poles; frogs and fungi are slowly climbing mountain ranges – while in the oceans, even some coral reefs are moving at the rate of a few kilometres per year. And where wild species go, humans may follow. More people already live outside their countries of birth than ever before, some of them pushed by war, floods, rising seas and creeping deserts.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 3 Jan - 20:53, édité 2 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Dim 3 Jan - 19:47

Hi everyone
Persecution, misery, armed conflicts,... the candidates for exile rarely have a choice, and their migration is very often a forced flight. In these situations, fear is the main factor of migration.
In the same way, the host country is afraid that the migrants will steal their pie and therefore people share the same feeling.
Yet when human population number rise,people often work together to find innovative solutions.
People can adapt according to the availability of resources.
We can see that Fear is a destructive feeling and Man should understand that collective intelligence is enriched by the different points of view that immigration offers
For instance in Mexico a rising population prompted farmers to improve the efficiency of wheat production and of cross-border cooperation over water shortages.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin