Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Slang: Are You Sure We're All Speaking English?

2 participants

Slang: Are You Sure We're All Speaking English? Empty Slang: Are You Sure We're All Speaking English?

Message  gerardM Dim 5 Fév - 23:53

Hi everyone,

I wrote several times here that American English was not British English!

Even in the British Islands, even in France, it's obvious that given the difficulties to travel for humans centuries ago, the evolutions of languages were different in the various parts of the countries.

Even in nowadays' countries with planes, high speed trains and our means of conveyance, even with the films which tend to homogenize cultures, some domains of languages remain different leading to huge misunderstandings!

An example is slang!

A few Web links:
-> '50s and '60s Slang: A Hepcat's Guide
-> '60s Slang
-> Answers to Some Questions About Ebonics
-> National Geographic News: Chicago—The True Murders That Inspired the Movie
-> National Geographic: Xpeditions Atlas
-> Slang Throughout Ireland
-> Slang in Australia
-> What is Cockney Rhyming Slang?

NB: This article was written, after the excellent "Slang: Are You Sure We're All Speaking English?" by the National Geographic.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Slang: Are You Sure We're All Speaking English? Empty Re: Slang: Are You Sure We're All Speaking English?

Message  MurielB Lun 6 Fév - 11:00

Hi everyone hi Gérard
clic on this link and you will see for yourself that slang can make a text shorter and clearer Wink It is in French but i am sure it is the same in slang English
https://www.cafe-polyglotte.com/t1382-niveaux-de-langues-de-la-part-de-fernand-damotte

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Slang: Are You Sure We're All Speaking English? Empty Re: Slang: Are You Sure We're All Speaking English?

Message  MurielB Lun 13 Fév - 15:10

Hi Gérard ! Hi everyone

Another aspect of slang is the accent. I have read somewhere that the rough and harsh voices of true New Yorkers are being softened as young générations leave the language of their forefathers behind. So the New York accent is becoming less and less audible.

Current linguistic research finds that many of the defining features of local speech are desappearing. Is it true every where ?

I have noticed that in Calais where the accent used to be very strong. Younger generations are progressively loosing their ancestors 'accent.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois