Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons

4 participants

Page 15 sur 20 Précédent  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Suivant

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Empty Re: Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons

Message  gerardM Ven 13 Juin - 18:50

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp52
(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Empty Re: Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons

Message  gerardM Sam 21 Juin - 23:09

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp227
(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 27 Juin - 14:59

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp278
(click pic to enlarge)

Good! I like!

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 10 Juil - 11:08

Hi everyone,

I like this picture.
It reminds me of my own teacher at primary school.
She wanted us to improve our vacabulary -of course-
so that "faire" was banned
she wanted specific words for actions (instead of the general "faire").

It's important in a language you want to master
to use rich words and have a wide collection of "alternatives".
Well not exactly alternatives but exact words that
have to be used in specific situation.
Let's enrich our vocabulary in languages we love.

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp339

However,
We've to be aware that our language would be better than
the natives' one... who might not understand us or think we're snobs. Laughing
The words in the list are not synonyms but words in the domain of "said": we must exactly know about the words we want to use because some are a bit far from "said" and misusage might be the source of misunderstandings
eg "demanded" is far from "said"
I've to admit i don't know most of these words  scratch 
Again let's use these words but after we know them well/perfectly.

gerardM

Message  aurélienP Jeu 10 Juil - 13:56

AMAZING job gérard thank you

Beautiful beautiful  Razz Razz 

Vocabulary Learning by heart
always i repeat and repeat and repeat words ..... again and again good the brain is on  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing 

About contractions, according my teachers, never use in writting i suppose it is a crime for britons, like cutting spaghetti in front of italians LOL

Razz Razz Razz 

aurélienP

Lieu : Nancy
Langues : Fr (Langue maternelle), Gb It, Deu, ru

Message  gerardM Jeu 10 Juil - 16:55

Hi Aurélien,

> AMAZING job gérard thank you
You're welcome Aurélien.

> About contractions, according my teachers, never use in writting
Yes but...
French teachers teach academic English.
Academic English is useless except for exams in France.
I write this again because you may not have read my periodic words: teachers at the head of English teaching at La Sorbonne do have an ugly French accent!
True language is spoken language and as it is taught in French schools, it looks ridiculous to an American ear (you must not speak too good English otherwise you sound very weird, from an old timer to a snob Wink ).

Wiould you use the imparfait du subjonctif with your friends? However it'd be perfect French

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 10 Juil - 22:02

Aurélien,

I'm going to soften my words.

> About contractions, according my teachers, never use in writting

I received the same instructions decades ago; it concerned any contractions.
I responded with tough words thinking your teachers -like mine- meant contractions such as "you'll", "I'm going to soften...", etc. I think this is too much because it's just informal language ie true language.

However, I agree if contractions are "I wanna go New York" or ""I gonna Paris soon".

gerardM

Message  aurélienP Jeu 10 Juil - 22:35

ok gerard

that is correct

from the bottom of my heart I hate use contractions like I'm or you'll etc
at the sight about those I am shocking, and disturbing, might I am kink LOL don't know  Razz 

aurélienP

Message  gerardM Jeu 10 Juil - 22:52

Hi Aurélien,

Things may not be as simple as I wrote.

I would say that the language has to be homogeneous.
My vocabulary is American so, my grammar, my tone, my style, my abbreviations have to be rather American.

I cannot use abbreviations with Shakespeare's vocabulary...
I cannot use sophisticated vocabulary with poor grammar or contractions.
I cannot be strict with contractions while my grammar is poor.

However, for exams in France, you have to take care to be understood by the teacher...
In the street, speaking with usual Americans, you cannot be formal...

By the way, Wink there are several grammar mistakes in your messages...

gerardM

Message  aurélienP Jeu 10 Juil - 23:11

By the way, Wink there are several grammar mistakes in your messages... a écrit:

which ?

i did not make English for about 15-16 years  Laughing geek 

aurélienP

Message  gerardM Jeu 10 Juil - 23:20

aurélienP a écrit:AMAZING job gérard thank you

Beautiful beautiful  Razz Razz 

Vocabulary Learning by heart
always i repeat and repeat and repeat words ..... again and again good the brain is on  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing 

About contractions, according my teachers, never use in writting i suppose it is a crime for britons, like cutting spaghetti in front of italians LOL

Razz Razz Razz 
(never forget the capital letter for "I" or nationalities: it's a mistake even in America)
aurélienP a écrit:ok gerard

that is correct

from the bottom of my heart I hate use contractions like I'm or you'll etc
at the sight about those I am shocking,  and disturbing, might I am kink LOL don't know  Razz 

This said, it's not a big problem to me, except that being strict regarding contractions doesn't go with grammar mistakes.

HTH

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 10 Juil - 23:41

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp349
(click pic to enlarge)

That is a pic I like!!
"Strange" is a very common adjective and we absolutely need alternate words.

:-) 

Several words could be added:
- surprising
- stunning
- amazing
- puzzling
- etc

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 20 Juil - 16:47

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp391
(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 20 Juil - 19:51

Hi Gérard, everyone
Thanks a lot for the idioms describing people. I just want to add one which I have learnt to-day visiting an English  friend of mine at the hospital.
She has told me that she was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I love that expression
The allusion  is " the appearance of a squirrel, which with its beady eyes and bushy tail looks perfectly fit".  Very Happy

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Jeu 24 Juil - 22:18

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp410

Another opportunity to learn good useful verbs... English is very rich "noiseverbwise" (LOL I created this word)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 2 Aoû - 20:18

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp127
(click pic to enlarge)

Very important not to make mistakes with these.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 2 Aoû - 23:23

Ok Gérard, we will make an effort not to make mistakes with that !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 3 Aoû - 11:29

Shakespeare and Lizzie would thank you for this. Wink

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 17 Aoû - 21:38

(this doesn't come from EnglishIsFun)

Phrasal Verbs in Daily English Conversations
16min 13sec

As always with YouTube,
you'll find similar videos in the right column.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 18 Aoû - 14:26

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp522

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 20 Aoû - 23:42

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp164
(click pic to enlarge)

Continued Page 24

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 24 Aoû - 15:18

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Temp168
(click pic to enlarge)

Let's add:
- to make the bed
- to go on errands / to run errands

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 12 Déc - 9:07

Gérard a écrit:
I've the feeling we already have to know them to understand.
Yes you are right they are so important in the English language but not so easy to memorize
Here are some more
to wear off=>to Fade away
to take off= to do well, to start to fly
to write off=>to cancel,  to accept a loss
to go off =>to explode
to make off=>to leave quickly

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Jeu 18 Déc - 22:46

Hello everyone
I just want to share what I have found about "out"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/out
adverb

away from, or not in, the normal or usual place, position, state, etc.:
"out of alphabetical order; to go out to dinner."

away from one's home, country, work, etc., as specified:
"to go out of town."

in or into the outdoors:
"to go out for a walk."

to a state of exhaustion, extinction, or depletion:
"to pump a well out."

to the end or conclusion; to a final decision or resolution:
"to say it all out."

to a point or state of extinction, nonexistence, etc.:
"to blow out the candle; a practice on the way out."

in or into a state of neglect, disuse, etc.; not in current vogue or fashion:
"That style has gone out."

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Internet English Resources / EnglishIsFun -lessons - Page 15 Empty more expressions

Message  MurielB Sam 20 Déc - 21:52

away with the fairiesSomeone who is away with the fairies is so absent-minded that he gives the impression of being mad

harebrained ideaA harebrained idea is a silly  idea

bats in the belfryIf you say that somebody has bats in the belfry, you mean he is crazy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 15 sur 20 Précédent  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Suivant