Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

let’s talk about women and men

+2
MurielB
gerardM
6 participants

Page 2 sur 4 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4  Suivant

let’s talk about women and men - Page 2 Empty New Test Lets Women Pick Their Best IVF Embryo

Message  gerardM Jeu 16 Avr - 16:54

Howdy.

Scientific American magazine

A new test of the health of embryos could help reduce the number of twins and triplet births in IVF patients.

New Test Lets Women Pick Their Best IVF Embryo
But the FDA-approved technology for use with in vitro fertilization has yet to prove it leads to better babies
SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM|PAR DINA FINE MARON

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

let’s talk about women and men - Page 2 Empty Re: let’s talk about women and men

Message  gerardM Jeu 16 Avr - 16:56

When can I choose a boy ?
When a clever boy?
When a healthy clever boy?
When a healthy and clever boy with gifts as a entrepreneur or businessman?

gerardM

let’s talk about women and men - Page 2 Empty Re: let’s talk about women and men

Message  MurielB Jeu 16 Avr - 21:20

Gérard a écrit:When can I choose a boy ?
When a clever boy?

It is also very sad because the parents can be disappointed with their new born baby who has not the characteristics they wanted.   Obviously  they can't return the package Wink

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Ven 17 Avr - 1:04

MurielB a écrit:
Gérard a écrit:When can I choose a boy ?
When a clever boy?

It is also very sad because the parents can be disappointed with their new born baby who has not the characteristics they wanted.   Obviously  they can't return the package Wink
We'll see!

:-(

I bet that in the US and some other crazy countries (I mean with researchers without any ethics):
- researchers will study and find and improve
- a short while later, "parents" will order

Rejected packages might become kinda sub-humans and slaves... didn't we see this in bad films/novels?
- a short while later, "disappointed parenst" will sue doctors if the package is not in keeping with the order (n'est pas conforme...).

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 17 Avr - 6:55

in keeping with the order (n'est pas conforme...).
Thanks a lot for the good expression Gérard !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

let’s talk about women and men - Page 2 Empty Poor rich Manhattan women

Message  MurielB Ven 12 Juin - 21:28

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2015/05/18/anthropologist-discovers-rich-manhattan-women-are-receiving-wife-bonuses/

To study this “elite tribe,” anthropologist Martin spent time with more than 100 of wives for over six years and found that the women were surprisingly cloistered from their husbands. The most baffling revelation was the existence of “wife bonuses” that they received for good housekeeping, which “might be hammered out in a pre-nup or post-nup, and distributed on the basis of not only how well her husband’s fund had done but her own performance — how well she managed the home budget, whether the kids got into a “good” school — the same way their husbands were rewarded at investment banks.” Viewing this through the lens of anthropology, Martin sees this as evidence of a “sex-segregated society” where women are comparatively disempowered and dépendent.

Although these women had advanced degrees from prestigious universities and business schools and married to rich, powerful men, they are looked down upon.
the conclusion is that The more hierarchical the society, and the more sex segregated the society is, the lower the status of women.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Ven 12 Juin - 21:50, édité 2 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 12 Juin - 21:43

Very strange article!

Full story in the New York Times -> Poor Little Rich Women

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 12 Juin - 21:51

Yes Gérard, it's very strange indeed. I have just read it in "courrier international" and I wanted to write it in English for our forum.

Of course anyone's comment is welcome.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

let’s talk about women and men - Page 2 Empty The Reason Why Women Live Longer Than Men

Message  gerardM Mar 14 Juil - 19:46

Howdy.

Staying Alive is Not Enough

To discover other pages please click on the top right. the page numbers appear there

The Reason Why Women Live Longer Than Men
By Rachael Rettner, Staff Writer LiveScience It's well known that women live longer than men do, but this wasn't always the case: A new study finds that differences between men and women's li
HUFFINGTONPOST.COM

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 15 Juil - 11:16

Hi Gérard, everyone !
Thanks a lot ! I don't know if it was the case for people born before 1880, but I remember reading an article  about women living longer than men. They said it was also because women shed tears and express their feelings more easily than men. It is no good to say to a little boy "men don't cry, you must hold back your tears ! "

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 15 Juil - 20:59

Muriel,

In my family tree, I can see many women who died early, possibly due to difficult deliveries.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 15 Juil - 21:24

It's true Gérard ! In my family women also died early because they had  difficult deliveries. My mother's babies were very big and 2 of them were still born. Fortunately my mother is still alive but she was Lucky. I could have had 6 brothers !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

let’s talk about women and men - Page 2 Empty Women associate money with love, men link it to freedom

Message  gerardM Ven 28 Aoû - 22:58

Howdy.

News from Science
[url=http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavior/2015/08/women-associate-money-love-men-link-it-freedom?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebook]

Money tends to seduce genders in different ways. According to a new study, women, on average, were about twice as likely to associate cash with love and emotion, whereas men were about twice as likely to see it as a sign of power and freedom.

Women associate money with love, men link it to freedom
Study investigates our “pathological” relationship with cold hard cash
NEWS.SCIENCEMAG.ORG
v

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 29 Aoû - 11:48

There are four main categories that we associate with the content of our bank accounts, the researchers say: security, power, love, and freedom
Hi Gérard, everyone !
I understand that we can associate money with freedom, power and security. What about love? There is nothing to do with love. scratch

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 29 Aoû - 14:10

MurielB a écrit:There is nothing to do with love. scratch
Really? scratch

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 29 Aoû - 16:20

Yes Gérard money is useful. Anyway you can't buy love with money you can't love somebody because he's got money. Some do but it's not love It is interest.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 29 Aoû - 17:06

MurielB a écrit:Yes Gérard money is useful. Anyway you can't buy love with money you can't love somebody because he's got money. Some do but it's not love It is interest.
Some ladies seem to be selectively attracted by money: in the Parisian society (and in the country as well I'm sure), there're selective schools, meetings, parties ("rallies", "Bal des Debs"), etc for youngsters: Love is not found by chance (or say throughout the whole population).
The lines above show a current tendency of parents.
In high schools there're girls who go only to meet good students; some other girls cannot enter the school but organize things to meet promising students after class-time, in cafés around the school or University.
When I was a teenager, living in a small town in Provence, the parents organized the parties of their daughters... the list of boys was carefully checked, believe me.
I took my studies in Lyon: I can assure you that wives of wealthy industrials managed to get their daughters invited at our parties. The "BAPSO-BAl de la Promotion SOrtante de l'INSA de Lyon" was very very famous.

It's not something artificial like what was organized by families decades ago but it's selective meetings leading to Love (capital L).

I think that my words will ring a bell... Wink

If you want a balance, I can also say that a few ambitious students were trying to meet an heiress as well.

Not for money but at least for a name and prestige, shall I point out Valéry Giscard D'Estaing, Jacques Chirac... ?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 29 Aoû - 21:56

Some ladies seem to be selectively attracted by money
Gérard it was true in the past. Parents arranged their children's marriages, parents wanted a good party for their girls. I is not true nowadays. Girls want freedom. Sometimes they get married, sometimes they don't. They want to choose for themselves. As they have a job they don't need anybody to support them.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 29 Aoû - 22:09

I don't think so Muriel.

There still are private schools in Paris which have a big percentage of wealthy parents' children.
Similarly, in the neighboring of engineer's schools, we can find girls lurking around.
In Lyon, my school is still as famous to find husbands for industrial's daughters.

Dernière édition par gerardM le Sam 29 Aoû - 22:16, édité 2 fois

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 29 Aoû - 22:12

Is it true love ? scratch

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 29 Aoû - 22:16

Yes it is true love.

I don't mean weddings are decided by parents or girls are sold.
I mean that the circle of people to meet is the result of a good selection and meeting average persons is still very difficult.
Just -oriented choice.

However I agree that lots of talented girls don't need.
I was working with Valérie Pecresse's husband, Jérôme, a Polytechnician: I forgot to interview him about their meeting Wink

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 29 Aoû - 22:20

I mean that the circle of people to meet is the result of a good selection
aren't they (The girls) able to make the selection themselves. ? I didn't interfere in my daughters' choice.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 29 Aoû - 22:31

Yes, they will choose by themselves... among the guys they meet.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 30 Aoû - 15:47

Gérard a écrit:However I agree that lots of talented girls don't need.
You are right Gérard. Hopefully, In the future, less and less girls will marry for money

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  Remy Lun 31 Aoû - 7:07

Doctors, engineers, lawers...fall prays for women less graduated or for women who want to be housewives. But when women have made long studies they sometimes just desire a man like them. However, women often love men with a better situation because they need to admire him. And men like, as head of the family, to earn more. It's better for their virility.

On an other hand, brilliant women sometimes loose their womanhood because they think that, to succeed as a man, they must be like men. It's a pity. Fortunately, it's changing.

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Page 2 sur 4 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4  Suivant