Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Dawn French Fan Club 3

2 participants

Page 28 sur 41 Précédent  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 41  Suivant

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 Empty Re: Dawn French Fan Club 3

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Aoû - 21:39

... and it's shorter Smile

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  MurielB Ven 18 Aoû - 23:13

True !

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Aoû - 23:50

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20953160_1555777707813287_2217302079854710365_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 19 Aoû - 15:24

A magician was working on a cruise ship in the Caribbean.
The audience would be different each week, so the magician allowed himself to do the same tricks over and over again.
There was only one problem: The captain's parrot saw the shows each week and began to understand how the magician did every trick.
Once he understood he started shouting in the middle of the show: "Look, it's not the same hat" "Look, he is hiding the flowers under the table"
"Hey, why are all the cards the Ace of Spades ?"
The magician was furious but couldn't do anything; it was, after all, the captain's parrot. One day the ship had an accident and sank.
The magician found himself on a piece of wood in the middle of the ocean with the parrot, of course.
They stared at each other with hate, but did not utter a word. This went on for a day and another and another. After a week the parrot said: "OK, I give up. Where's the boat?"

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 19 Aoû - 15:31

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20882901_1556096734448051_8123372598932731198_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 19 Aoû - 15:38

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20882912_1555852024472522_1414556348554698279_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 19 Aoû - 16:03

gerardM a écrit:
Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20882901_1556096734448051_8123372598932731198_n
Tx Gérard for the expression
give up on something/someone. to expect someone or something to fail:

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 19 Aoû - 17:32

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20914529_1556472467743811_4856582445748266003_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 20 Aoû - 15:10

After their baby was born, the panicked father went to see the Obstetrician.
"Doctor," the man said, "I don't mind telling you, but I'm a little upset because my daughter has red hair. She can't possibly be mine!!"
"Nonsense," the doctor said…
"Even though you and your wife both have black hair, one of your ancestors may have contributed red hair to the gene pool."
"It isn't possible," the man insisted. "This can't be, our families on both sides had jet-black hair for generations."
“Well, said the doctor, “let me ask you this. How often do you make love to your wife???”
The man seemed a bit ashamed...
"I've been working very hard for the past year. We only made love once or twice every few months."
"Well, there you have it!" The doctor said confidently...

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 20 Aoû - 15:15

Did you know?

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 Safe_image.php?d=AQBlwAoGjS7o6rNZ&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftipsforhome.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F08%2Fonceremoved_1050x550

This Will Help You Know The Difference Between Second Cousins And Cousins Once Removed
Many of us are interested in learning more about our family. In fact, it has never been easier to find out about your family, and the more you dig, the more you're going to uncover. Many people have started with a family tree that just seems to grow continually, and it can be amazing to see your roo
TIPSFORHOME.NET

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 20 Aoû - 15:54

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20953977_1556956494362075_7887656415123655352_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 20 Aoû - 16:01

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20882566_1556866761037715_6454068015172151656_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 20 Aoû - 16:49

Hi Gérard, everyone !
It is interesting to note that in English they don't say a little person but a short person.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 20 Aoû - 16:59

MurielB a écrit:Hi Gérard, everyone !
It is interesting to note that in English they don't say a little person but a short person.
It's the general term but small and little are sometimes used; the opposite is tall.

In French, "petit" and "grand" are often used hence their translations are difficult as in English they distinguish between the various cases.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 20 Aoû - 17:20

Gérard i think that "Little" is the age "A little girl"and small is the size "A small girl"

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 20 Aoû - 18:36

MurielB a écrit:Gérard i think that "Little" is the age "A little girl"and small is the size "A small girl"
No Muriel.
Re age, young is used when objective., little when subjective.
Re size, small when objective, little when subjective.
Smile

petit, petite  

A adj

1 (en taille) [personne, pied, objet, arbre, entreprise] (objectivement) small; (subjectivement) little; il est petit pour son âge he's small for his age; les mêmes, mais en plus petit the same ones, but smaller; le 36, c'est trop petit 36 is too small; le monde est petit! it's a small world!; un homme de petite taille, un homme petit a short ou small man; petit et trapu short and stocky; un petit homme timide a shy little man; la petite blonde, là-bas the little blonde, over there; une toute petite pièce/femme a tiny room/woman; se faire tout petit fig to try to make oneself inconspicuous; c'est Versailles en plus petit it's a miniature Versailles; è bête, doigt, lorgnette, plat, ruisseau;

2 (en longueur, durée) [foulée, promenade, distance, paragraphe] short; par petites étapes in easy stages; è semaine;

3 (en âge) (objectivement) young; (subjectivement) little; il est trop petit pour comprendre he's too young to understand; c'est la plus petite she's the youngest; je t'ai connu petit I knew you when you were little; mon petit frère my little brother; (bébé) my baby brother; le petit Jésus baby Jesus; petit garçon little boy; petite fille little girl; une petite Française a French girl; le petit nouveau the new boy; les petits enfants small ou young children; c'est notre petit dernier he's our youngest; petit chat kitten; petit chien puppy; petit ours/renard/lion bear/fox/lion cub;

4 (en quantité, prix, force) [somme, appétit, majorité, volume, quantité, groupe] small; [mangeur, buveur] light; [salaire, loyer] low; [tape, vent, averse] light; [cri, rire, sourire] little; [goût, espoir, chance] slight; d'une petite voix timide in a timid little voice; une petite pluie fine a fine drizzle; ça a un petit goût de cerise it tastes slightly of cherries; avoir une petite santé to have poor health; fais un petit effort make an effort; un (tout) petit peu de sel (just) a little salt; un petit sourire coquin/supérieur a mischievous/superior little smile; è feu2;

5 (en gravité) [inconvénient , détail, défaut, opération] minor; [rhume] slight; [égratignure, souci] little;

6 (dans une hiérarchie) [marque, cru] lesser known; [situation, emploi] modest; [fonctionnaire, dignitaire] low-ranking; [poète] minor; les petites routes minor roads; le petit personnel low-grade staff; les petites gens ordinary people; un petit escroc a small-time crook; è soldat;

7 (pour minimiser) little; chante-nous une petite chanson give us a little song; un petit coup de rouge a little glass of red wine; un petit visage triste a sad little face; un bon petit vin/restaurant a nice little wine/restaurant; un petit cadeau/secret a little gift/secret; une petite faveur a little favourGB; de bons petits plats tasty dishes; un petit coin tranquille a quiet spot; envoie-moi un petit mot drop me a line; passe-moi un petit coup de fil¡ give me a ring GB ou call; avoir de petites attentions pour qn to make a fuss of sb GB, to fuss over sb; il faut une petite signature ici could I ask you to sign here, please?; je n'ai eu que deux petites semaines de congé! I only had two short weeks off!; j'en ai pour une petite minute/heure it won't take me a minute/more than an hour; une petite trentaine de personnes under thirty people;

8 (en sentiment) mon petit Pierre my dear Pierre; mon petit papa darling daddy; mon petit chéri/ange my darling/angel; mon petit chou¡ or poulet¡ sweetie¡, honey¡; une petite garce£ a bitch£; un petit imbécile an idiot; très préoccupée de sa petite personne very taken up with herself; il tient à sa petite tranquillité he likes a nice quiet life;

9 (mesquin) [personne, procédé] petty, mean; (étroit) [conception] narrow; les petits esprits small-minded people.
(Hachette-Oxford dictionary)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Aoû - 10:57

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20953304_1558138774243847_430781618756786009_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Aoû - 11:06

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20914187_1558079557583102_9167033300225086527_n

Wear is uncountable (no plural).
Underwear is a general term for everything under the visible clothing.
The lady should have said "underpants".
Note the plurals of underpants, briefs, knickers, pants, panties as we've two legs.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Aoû - 11:43

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20883072_1558020114255713_8472932755442395508_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Aoû - 12:17

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20914173_1557778507613207_941735646225147061_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Aoû - 14:04

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20914344_1558271454230579_1718961274283987258_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Aoû - 15:03

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20915431_1558345484223176_7506969063275315472_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Aoû - 15:10

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 20992767_1557572277633830_6128355004991083099_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Aoû - 17:04

This was the hardest I've laughed all week! 

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 Safe_image.php?d=AQBXPNWlxlLdDrpL&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.inspiremore.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F08%2F18155316%2Fvet21

20 Hilarious Vet Signs That Will Have You Howling With Laughter
No one likes going to the doctor’s office. But if dogs and cats could speak, they’d probably say that’s a huge …
INSPIREMORE.COM

Anyone to explain to me? scratch

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Aoû - 22:03

Dawn French Fan Club 3 - Page 28 21034276_1558597260864665_4625946103975090420_n

gerardM

Page 28 sur 41 Précédent  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 41  Suivant