Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English)

+8
pierreP
Tregouet
JeanPierreD
Guilaine
gerardM
Remy
MurielB
FabTheFrog
12 participants

Page 6 sur 16 Précédent  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Suivant

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English) - Page 6 Empty Re: Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English)

Message  gerardM Dim 15 Déc - 15:00

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English) - Page 6 Temp43
(click pic to enlarge)

This is a photo published on Facebook by Susan, a good friend of mine.
No doubt it is a genuine Am tree.
I realize that I never saw a Christmas tree in America
(probably easy to find on Intenet tho)

What are these oranges? beautiful indeed!
What are these other slices? lemons (not the color)?
What's this thingy on the left?

Any help pls

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English) - Page 6 Empty Re: Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English)

Message  MurielB Dim 15 Déc - 19:37

Hi Gérard !
Yes this Christmas tree is obviously American. I had a look on the internet and read that the American Christmas tree was traditionally decorated with edibles such as apples or nuts . On Susan's Christmas tree the edibles are candied lemons and oranges. The colour is a bit different from the real fruit. I think that this thingy on the left is a cracker.
 I will try to find crackers for Christmas. They are so funny and add to the ambience.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_cracker  Very Happy
Crackers are typically pulled at the Christmas dinner table or at parties. In one version of the cracker tradition, the person with the larger portion of cracker empties the contents from the tube and keeps them. In another each person will have their own cracker and will keep its contents regardless of whose end they were in. Typically these contents are a coloured paper hat; a small toy, small plastic model or other trinket and a motto, a joke, a riddle or piece of trivia on a small strip of paper.[3] The paper hats, with the appearance of crowns, are usually worn when eating Christmas dinner. The tradition of wearing festive hats is believed to date back to Roman times, and the Saturnalia celebrations, which also involved decorative headgear.[

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Dim 15 Déc - 20:06

Susan is the one who provides me with anti-GMO fighting information. No GMOs no fertilizers with her (she is a farmer).

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 10 Jan - 17:25

Hi everyone,

I always watch such American exchanges which surprise me: I am not able to find good words - true that I am a man.

Cathy was born Quebecker ie she has many sisters and brothers (also a mother) and she moved to the US where she married an American... who died a few yers ago.
I think I already spoke about similar conversation... I wonder if it was not for her husband's death.
Cathy (Hier, à 05:26)
I've come to accept that happiness is a futile pursuit. It's an illusion we use as motivation to get up in the morning and do shit. Oh well, at least there's work. Gotta have something worthwhile I suppose. Every dog has its day? Life's a bitch and then you die.
Raymond I share your thoughts; I've come to the conclusion that good health is what we must target to lengthen our days on this planet. Bonne semaine quand même.
Cathy Indeed. Good physical, mental and emotional health are vital to long lives... It's been so long since I've had either that it amazes me that I still breathe. It all goes back to happiness. If that hope is there, we keep on trying just to spite the alternative. Many of my friends over the years have mentioned that I am strong. I'm really not. I just don't like the alternative and there was always some obstacle to overcome to keep me motivated. Now it's mountains upon mountains on top of ice. Those obstacles I can't overcome however much I would want to. In the famous words of Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, I'm too old for this shit. I may not have the numbers, but I've got the scars to equate to it. There is not a single day that goes by that I'm not in pain. I'm writing this now because I can't sleep and it keeps my brain from wandering. This is why i stayed off fb for a while. I really don't have much in the way of positives to contribute. But since I don't really get to talk to anyone about shit like this, it has to go somewhere. Sorry for being a downer. Thanks for caring. It is appreciated.
Coly Can't argue with that. On the other hand doing new things is exciting and you have taken some huge steps that must have felt satisfying for a while.
Pieter {{hugs}} and chocolate help.
Tammy The days are getting longer & therefore more sunshine on the way. {{hugs}}
Joyce I think it's human nature to always be wanting to improve. The pursuit of happiness is ongoing I think. We attain something, then wonder why we still feel not quite fulfilled. So we just try and find a new thing to please ourselves... and the beat goes on, right BFF?
Cathy Coly, yeah but what that improved was just one part of my life, mostly things (as it should be). As I said many times in my life, I don't do the whole change thing well so it required a lot just to make those things happen. I can't put that amount of effort, will and focus into the rest that needs improvement. No amount of wishing will make my personal life suck less. Those were some of the thoughts going through my head last night as I lay there waiting for oblivion.

Pieter, you know they do.  {{{{ hugs }}}}} (just had to give you a lop-sided hug)

Tammy, I can't imagine going through another Canadian winter..... we've had a taste of real winter the last couple of days and my gawd I'd forgotten how much it sucks.

BFF, you perhaps know me best of all. I don't ask for much out of life, yet it seems I ask for too much. Goals are one thing, they distract you from the rest for a while, but when it gets dark and silent, those goals can't keep the ghosts out.

I look around and see happy, normal people going through their routines. They go to work, they pay their bills, they go on vacation....etc. They have family, husbands, wives, kids... cousins, in laws. They do things together, and it's as normal as normal can be. They all have zero idea of what it is like to have it all disappear in the blink of an eye. To one day wake up and realize that you aren't part of any of that. That it was all a big illusion. To go through the motions anyway because that's what is expected. To go to work (the only time when you're not reminded of just how bad your life sucks) and be content for a few hours. To return to an empty house that is almost exactly the way you left it (the only difference being the mess the cats make while you're gone)... It hits very hard, every single day. I'm not young anymore, I can't absorb it and keep going as if nothing was wrong anymore. And the depression is the most real thing there is in a world full of illusions.

Just some more thoughts. Ignorance is bliss.
Corrine Not cousins, in-laws or the like but as I look at the names above, and know the caring involved in the replies, I see another form of family. Although not physically there at the end of the day, always around with {{{HUGS}}}.

So, although we can't help with the physical pain you live with, know how much we care.
Robert In the pursuit of happiness, I think happiness is easy to find, it's contentment that makes it all worthwhile. It's harder to find and to attain. I think many philosophers have said this before so it's not a new concept and I take no credit for it. Nonetheless, it's sure got a ring of truth to it.
Nancy There are many positives about you so although it's natural to feel down sometimes, try to think of good in your life! Don't forget all your accomplishments, which others have alluded to and of which there are many!! If you think positively, good things will come to you!!
Coly Ever think of getting someone to share your house?
Corrine ^^^ In addition to Mary & Pippin.
Cathy Thanks guys (and gals). Life's still a bitch, but I know you care and that means a lot. I had a good evening with Jessica, AJ and the kids. Sometimes just being surrounded by people who care enough to give you hugs and share their time is enough to renew (or revitalize a little) me for a while.
Jessica (il y a 12 heures) You're very welcome. I missed you!
Cathy is 38; last year she got a high leval US national award at her univ...
I know most of the persons who posted; we are often chatting on Internet security forums. I didn't want to reply as I didn't want to make a mistake with some possible poor words (all of them are American but Pieter who is Dutch).

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 10 Jan - 22:43

"Sometimes just being surrounded by people who care enough to give you hugs and share their time is enough to renew (or revitalize a little) me for a while"
All those people seem very close to one another. They naturally cheer Catherine up. They must be very nice ! They let their feelings go (Is it a good expression I am not sure scratch ) Is it more difficult for the French to behave like that ? Are Americans more empathic than we are ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 10 Jan - 22:49

Hi Muriel,

> All those people seem very close to one another.
Most posters know Cathy just like me ie via Internet (except Raymond and Jessica) - Except Raymond, Jessica and Robert, I know everyone.
All of the posters are Americans - Raymond is Quebecker, Pieter is Dutch.

I'm not able to find right words.
I don't know about you but in France I mainly hear "Courage !", "On est avec toi !" or kind of moral replies or the like... rare very close friends can do better but I don't think the French are that good at expressing feelings.
The "Courage !" is equiivalent to {{hugs}}
I notice that Ray's reply is not very accurate... looks like a reply from a French (Ray is a Quebecker).
I notice that Pieter only wrote "{{hugs}} and chocolate help."; the Dutch may not be as comfortable as me (the allusion to chocolates is common joke as Pieter does love chockies).

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 11 Jan - 1:31

Hi guys,

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English) - Page 6 Flappermagazine

As far as I understood, in the 20s, youth began to be considered (especially girl independence - which year in France? Laughing) and -of course- they created new expressions, new language: the Flapper slang.
The twenties were the first decade to emphasize youth culture over the older generations, and the flapper sub-culture had a tremendous influence on main stream America; many new words and phrases were coined by these liberated women. Many of these are still used today!

Here are a few links that show what this Flapper slang was:

-> Flappers' Dictionary: How To Talk The 1920s Talk
-> Slang of the 1920's
-> Flapper Slang

A few funny expressions:
- eye opener -> marriage
- Cellar Smeller -> A young man who always turns up where liquor is to be had without cost.
- Noodle Juice -> Tea.
- Tomato -> A young woman shy of brains.
- Big Cheese -> The most important or influential person; boss. Same as big shot
- Daddy -> a young  woman's boyfriend or lover, especially if he's rich
- Flapper -> A stylish, brash, hedonistic young woman with short skirts & shorter hair
- Cash or check? -> Do you kiss now or later?

> Daddy - a young  woman's boyfriend or lover, especially if he's rich
This is very interesting!
A few years ago, I asked an American lady what "My heart belongs to daddy" (sung by Marilyn Monroe and others) meant - did "daddy" mean Darling? She responded "no" but I guess she was wrong!!

gerardM

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English) - Page 6 Empty Am. Culture - The Big Texan Steak Ranch

Message  gerardM Dim 12 Jan - 16:50

Hi everyone,

Did you hear about "The Big Texan Steak Ranch"?
Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English) - Page 6 Temp716
Address: 7701 Interstate 40, Amarillo, TX 79118
Phone:(806) 372-1000
Schedule: Mondays-Sundays 08:30 – 22:30
Located in Amarillo, Texas, is a special restaurant, a steakhouse restaurant:
The Big Texan Steak Ranch is a steakhouse restaurant and motel located in Amarillo, Texas, United States which opened on the previous U.S. Route 66 in the 4500 block of East Amarillo Boulevard in 1960 and moved to its present location on Interstate 40 in 1970. Fire gutted the west wing of the restaurant in 1976 and destroyed $100,000 in antiques. The restaurant reopened as a larger facility in 1977. The building is painted a bright yellow, with blue trim. A large cow statue advertises their free 72 oz. steak (see below). The now-closed Texas Tornado Museum resided off in a far corner of the parking lot on the property

Amarillo, Texas is located on the famous Route 66 at equal distance between both borders with Oklahoma and New Mexico.
Beyond the long history of this "Big Texan Steak Ranch" What's special is that everyone can eat a 2 kg / 72 Oz. steak for free provided they can eat it within an hour. ;)Good luck but many managed and the top duration is under 9 minutes!! Wink
3/24/08 Joey Chestnut 8:52 mins 220 24 Vellejo, CA. There is a new champ in town!

-> (Wikipedia) The Big Texan Steak Ranch
-> The Big Texan
-> The 72oz Steak Rules
Meal consists of: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72 oz. Steak
-> THE 72oz HALL OF FAME 36 page list since 1991 - list is being re-created after it was destroyed by fire in 1976 then by water in 1991.

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English) - Page 6 Temp141

Everything is big in Texas!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 12 Jan - 22:44

9 minutes to eat a 2 kg/72 OZ is unbelievable !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 12 Jan - 23:24

Hi Muriel,

3/24/08 Joey Chestnut 8:52 mins 220 24 Vellejo, CA. There is a new champ in town!
You're exaggerating: it's not 9 min it's 8:52 min; within 8 seconds he would eat 2 -3 ice creams Wink

This is the highscore. Second and third times were also very impressive and lots of people could eat the steak in less than 1 hour: 2 managed since Jan 1, 2014.

gerardM

Message  JeanPierreD Lun 13 Jan - 15:21

2 kg / 72 Oz of meat, perhaps usefull for people working out regularly in the gym and lifting heavy weights, but for ordinary people .. I knew that in the States everything was big and huge .. the roads, the cars, the skyscrapers...
JeanPierreD
JeanPierreD

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  gerardM Lun 13 Jan - 15:42

Jean-Pierre,

I don't have the best experience, but even hypermarket parking lots are huge and I never had a problem to find empty locations for the car... even in the center of San Francisco.

Everything is Big in the US!

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 6 Fév - 0:33

Hi everyone,

Well, there's much snow in the US these days.

Here's a message posted on Facebook:
Cathy XYZ
So I managed to remote in this morning and get *some work* accomplished. Then Dave was kind enough to give me a ride in the truck to get the rest of the day in the shop. AND, I came home to a cleared driveway and walk path to my door thanks to Jessica and Michael! I don't quite know how to express the gratitude right now. But these people rocked my socks today. LOL! Thanks much!
Did I ever wrote about communities in America?
Wink

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 6 Fév - 0:40

Hi,

As I am in this topic, here's something I often wanted to write but then, I always forgot Wink

There's a common word in teh States which is Kudos.
Rather common, it is used to congratulate friends... it's more than Congrats; it's like acclaim, glory, prestige, honor...

NB: Kudos is a singular!!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 6 Fév - 6:50

Thanks Gérard, I had never heard of the word "Kudos" 
 it comes from the Ancient Greek: κῦδος)
I will remember !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 6 Fév - 12:36

Pretty common in the States Muriel.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 6 Fév - 14:10

Muriel,
Do you know this one?
Do you know what a toddler is (without Google nor a dictionary)?

Weird suite "ddl" in the word.
I don't know if 3 consonants in a row are common in French (I don't realize as it's my mother language and I don't notice). It's not exceptional in English such as "subtlety" or "subtly".
BTW, I can realize that "soustraire", "soustropical" are French... OK
What puzzles me is the double consonant followed by another consonant: "to toddle". Do we have this in French? Are there other examples in English?
There might be a word referring to a big toad but I cannot remember.

~~ edit
-> toggle, tollbooth, tollhouse
-> all of the adverbs based on adlectives ending in -less -> -lessly

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 7 Fév - 14:37

Hi everyone,

On France-Info this morning, I had the surprise to hear a French guy -economics specialist- pronounce the expression "patate de canapé".

I had never heard this word for word translation of the common American expression...

Do you know the American expression I'm referring to? It's commonly used.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 7 Fév - 14:44

Hi there.

I wrote "referring" in my previous post (also yesterday).

All of a sudden, I wondered... I check in the dictionary and I'm right: referring needs rr Smile

Could anyone explain why rr for the past, present participaye, past participate of the verb to refer, whereas the right spelling is "r" in referee, reference, referent, referential... ?
Tx

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 7 Fév - 22:04

Hi Gérard
Is it because "refer" comes from the Latin "referre" ? It is not true with "referee, reference, referent, referential...

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 7 Fév - 23:35

Hi Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:Hi Gérard
Is it because "refer" comes from the Latin "referre" ?
Okay for Latin "referre".
It is not true with "referee, reference, referent, referential...
Are you sure?
To me "reference, referent, referential..." belong to the same family as "to refer".
Regarding "referee", I'm not speaking about the guy who runs on a soccer field, but about "2 GB (giving job reference) personne f pouvant fournir des références; to act as a referee for sb fournir des références sur qn." so to me, it's the same meaning as well.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 7 Fév - 23:44

Oh, something I wanted to write...

Another word for the Index finger is "pointer" as it is used to point to someone/something.

gerardM

Message  Guilaine Dim 9 Fév - 12:55

Hi Gérard, Muriel,

Patate de canapé : "couch potato" (I hope neither of us are one of them !  Rolling Eyes )

refer : referring - referred - BUT* mention : mentioning - mentioned -
rub : rubbed - rubbing - BUT* ask : asking - asked / palm : palming - palmed /boot : booting - booted / row : rowing - rowed

prefer : preferring - preferred - BUT* order : ordering - ordered /forecast : forecasting

1) La consonne finale est doublée pour les verbes d'une seule syllabe terminés par une seule consonne phonétique précédée d'une seule voyelle phonétique. Dans les autres cas, on applique la règle normale. (rub : rubbing - rubbed - BUT*ask... rappel w est une semi-consonne.

2) La consonne finale est également doublée pour les verbes à plusieurs syllabes lorsque la dernière syllabe est accentuée. Si la dernière syllabe n'est pas accentuée, on applique la règle normale. re'fer : referring - referred - BUT* 'order...

You want more ???

Les verbes en el et il suivent un usage différent en anglais et américain. C'est vrai également de to kidnap et de worship.
to instil : GB instilled - US instiled
travel : GB travelled - US traveled
kidnap : GB kidnapping - US kidnaping

to parallel ne double jamais son l final.

and more ???

- pour les verbes terminés par c, on ajoute k entre c et ed ou ing : to frolic : frolicked - to panic : panicked

- and finally : les verbes terminés par s peuvent doubler leur s final mais ce n'est pas obligatoire.
to bias - biassed - biased
to focus : focussed - focused.

I like this verb : "to bias" . Can you translate into French ?? This judgment is biased

Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  gerardM Dim 9 Fév - 14:10

Hi Ghislaine, everyone,

Thanks a lot for detailed explanations.

But... why prefer -> preferriing -/> preference ?
or... Why refer -> referring -/> reference -> referee -> referent -> referential ?

> I like this verb : "to bias" . Can you translate into French ?? This judgment is biased
What about: Ce jugement est biaisé.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 9 Fév - 23:16

Thanks Guilaine for all your explanations. They are as usual complete and well-informed.
Gerard I would translate "The judgment is biased" in "The jugement est partial" what do you think ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 6 sur 16 Précédent  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Suivant