Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

5 participants

Page 1 sur 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Suivant

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com Empty Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

Message  gerardM Dim 16 Juin - 12:48

Hi everyone,

I already used and published many things from Grammarly.com.

As I opened a thread dedicated to other web sites such as EnglishIsFun or Online English Teacher Monika, I'll open a thread dedicated to Grammarly.com to balance (ie a bit of ad for them and no need to give credit every time).

We can get good resources:
- accessing Facebook/Grammarly
- accessing the Web Grammarly.com.

There's also a product to check spelling and grammar on the Internet.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com Empty Re: Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

Message  gerardM Dim 23 Juin - 21:17

A few remarks (my own ones):
- "memoirs" is an English word - many many French words were adopted by English language (the Brits are very respectful and keep all the words of invaders) BUT they mostly took French words in 1066 and the meanings diverged since then and the lesson is that there are lots of false cognates
- "way" is an adverb which is very used in American; a synonym is "far" - this one is not well known by average level learners
- "pretty" is an adverb which is very used; however it is not well known by average level learners; attractive is the well known meaning.
Take care of "pretty" as an adverb because it depends on the word (after the adverb), on the tone, on the context and the range of meanings go from rather/almost to very!

gerardM

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com Empty Re: Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

Message  MurielB Dim 23 Juin - 23:38

Ok "Also Google before the forum"
I have found  and expression with pretty i did not know "Oh, pretty! She spilled her breakfast all over the floor.( super in an ironic way)

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 434432271_837995898367711_696139415373841831_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2285d6&_nc_ohc=oayqvB2kHVAQ7kNvgH883zj&_nc_ht=scontent.flil1-1
La langue c'est Le Lien, Language is The Link, La Lengua es el Nexo de unión, Sprache ist die Verbindung, Il Linguaggio è Il Legame, La Lingvo estas La Ligilo etc.
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Espéranto, Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Mar 25 Juin - 17:33

Poor teachers who have silly students!
Read better: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=613035412048786&set=a.158139670871698.33824.139729956046003

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 28 Juin - 15:50

gerardM a écrit:
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 969055_609522499066744_2134848446_n
That 's true ! Intelligence makes the most of everything !

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 434432271_837995898367711_696139415373841831_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2285d6&_nc_ohc=oayqvB2kHVAQ7kNvgH883zj&_nc_ht=scontent.flil1-1
La langue c'est Le Lien, Language is The Link, La Lengua es el Nexo de unión, Sprache ist die Verbindung, Il Linguaggio è Il Legame, La Lingvo estas La Ligilo etc.
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 29 Juin - 11:06

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 1044499_614685055217155_1974784919_n
What the hell is it?scratch 

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 29 Juin - 11:07

Good to know about the jokes in the schoolyard, no? ;à
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 1044434_614684738550520_1459145549_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 29 Juin - 21:52

What is the 'Oxford comma'?

The 'Oxford comma' is an optional comma before the word 'and' at the end of a list:

We sell books, videos, and magazines.

It's known as the Oxford comma because it was traditionally used by printers, readers, and editors at Oxford University Press.  Not all writers and publishers use it, but it can clarify the meaning of a sentence when the items in a list are not single words:

These items are available in black and white, red and yellow, and blue and green.

The Oxford comma is also known as the 'serial comma'.
gerardM a écrit:
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 1044499_614685055217155_1974784919_n
What the hell is it?scratch 
Gérard, here is the explaination I have found in Google for those who don't know( of course ! )

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 29 Juin - 23:05

Thanks Muriel, I am too lazy to search: I knew you'd do it for me! Wink

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 4 Juil - 21:50

gerardM a écrit:Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 1013836_616751185010542_1170995223_n
I am sorry Gérard but I don't understand scratch 

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 4 Juil - 22:54

Hi Muriel,

As far as I understand, "Grammarrhea" is a word built with "grammar" and "diarrhea" and I understand poor grammar/shitty grammar.

NB: "diarrhea" is the US spelling, "diarrhoea" is the British one.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 5 Juil - 21:24

Thank you Gérard, I understand now Very Happy 

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Dim 7 Juil - 20:59

Hi Gérard, hi everyone
what five-letter word becomes shorter when you add 2 letters ? Is it shorten ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 7 Juil - 21:28

"shorten"?... what are the 2 letters you added to get "shorter"?

> what five-letter word
The response is a five-letter word.
LOL read carefully Wink

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 7 Juil - 21:39

Hi Gérard
You add "er" to short and it gets shorter. scratch It was easy wasn't it ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Dim 7 Juil - 21:55

gerardM a écrit:Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 1045123_648787891801022_703286091_n
what do you think of that quotation from Mary J. Blige ?
"If you're looking for inner peace from the outside world, you're not going to get that. The inner peace starts with looking at you from the inside. Understanding that everything that comes to you is what you are. Everything from friends to boyfriends to the job you get - it's all a direct reflection of what you are on the inside."
--  
"everything that comes to you is what you are" Do you think it's perfectly true ? I agree that when you take a positive look at things, positive things happen to you but is it  always the case ? I am not sure.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 7 Juil - 22:13

Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:Hi Gérard
You add "er" to short and it gets shorter. scratch It was easy wasn't it ?
Yes indeed. It was not a question as the response was given on the picture.

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 1012324_617603044925356_1858842150_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 10 Juil - 22:42

gerardM a écrit:
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 1044335_619515844734076_2121956441_n
What I have found is that "If language is gender biased, it favors a certain gender over another.
·      In the case of English, the particular bias is usually the preference of the masculine over the feminine.
·      At first glance, it would appear that gender bias is built into the English language. Rules of grammar once dictated that we use masculine pronouns (he, his, him, himself) whenever a singular referent is required and we don’t know the gender of the person we’re talking about
·      Though this practice has been changing there are still some words that we use regularly that include the feminine. Consider the following examples: Workmen’s Compensation, mankind, chairman, man-made"

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 11 Juil - 0:10

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

Americans are usually very respectful. They will say "salesperson". If the owner is unkown, Am will say his/her or more often "their" (with a singular).

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 13 Juil - 11:08

Are you a grammar guru? Inspire others, build your reputation, and join the leaderboard at Grammarly Answers, our free Q&A forum for grammar and writing.
http://bit.ly/AnswersFB3

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 16 Juil - 9:09

gerardM a écrit:
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 65302_621978724487788_396281489_n
The problem with ebooks is that nobody sees what we are reading Wink

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 16 Juil - 11:57

Hi Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:The problem with ebooks is that nobody sees what we are reading Wink
Until you comment.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 17 Juil - 17:12

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 164900_623117527707241_1466775797_n

That's interesting!!

That's exactly what many French do: pronounce words they never heard but just read!!

What's the response ("Grammarly Words—Find the Right Word. http://words.grammarly.com/ ")?
-> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=623117527707241&set=a.158139670871698.33824.139729956046003&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf
Read very interesting 3557 comments (though most people didn't understand there was an English word for this)
-> https://www.facebook.com/grammarly

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 18 Juil - 14:51

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com 971535_623892294296431_1652125031_n
The caption from Grammarly: "Don’t use no double negatives!"

My comment:
I thought this double negative was a specialty of black jazz/blues singers,
Unfortunately, it is not!
This mistake is rather common.

Anyway, it's a big mistake!
considered as big as our French pleonasm.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 22 Juil - 21:33

They are all  very interesting !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 1 sur 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Suivant