Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

5 participants

Page 3 sur 27 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Suivant

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 Empty Re: Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

Message  MurielB Mar 27 Aoû - 8:02

gerardM a écrit:What is the longest book you’ve read? And, what is the best long book you’ve read?

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1186200_642186932466967_1075438757_n
Hi Gérard !
It is difficult to choose among all the books I have read. I enjoyed "The Alchimist" from Coelho "Roots" Alex Haley André Daleux's books about science and faith. Anyway "The Alchimist" was not that long but it was good.

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 434432271_837995898367711_696139415373841831_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2285d6&_nc_ohc=oayqvB2kHVAQ7kNvgH883zj&_nc_ht=scontent.flil1-1
La langue c'est Le Lien, Language is The Link, La Lengua es el Nexo de unión, Sprache ist die Verbindung, Il Linguaggio è Il Legame, La Lingvo estas La Ligilo etc.
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Espéranto, Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 Empty Re: Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

Message  gerardM Mar 27 Aoû - 15:44

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1238288_643131675705826_270913375_n
(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  gerardM Mer 28 Aoû - 14:34

Can you find the error here? The hosts on the Today show couldn’t find it.

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1186842_643135442372116_471207150_n

I guess I found, did you?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 28 Aoû - 20:59

Hi Gérard !
I give in ! I can't find anything ! Question

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 434432271_837995898367711_696139415373841831_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2285d6&_nc_ohc=oayqvB2kHVAQ7kNvgH883zj&_nc_ht=scontent.flil1-1
La langue c'est Le Lien, Language is The Link, La Lengua es el Nexo de unión, Sprache ist die Verbindung, Il Linguaggio è Il Legame, La Lingvo estas La Ligilo etc.
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 28 Aoû - 21:34

Muriel,

To me, the possessive is needed.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 28 Aoû - 21:51

Gérard
You mean Carlsbad 's caverns ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 28 Aoû - 22:23

Right.
I didn't find anything else but it's true that I cannot read the rest of the writing properly.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 28 Aoû - 22:30

OhOh

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 28 Aoû - 22:33

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1186842_643135442372116_471207150_n
(click pic to enlarge)

I made a mistake.
Above is a better posting:
a click on teh picture enlarges it et let us read better.
There's a big mistake:
"and seen it all"
What's that "seen"?
Which tense?
We can expect a simple past here,
not a past participate!
Anyway, I keep my saying:
we need a possessive as well

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 28 Aoû - 23:02

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 545209_643955945623399_79006923_n

Supposably is a word, but it is often used incorrectly. The word you are looking for is supposedly, a modifier meaning “as a matter of supposition; in the beliefs or according to the claims of some people.”

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 2 Sep - 21:35

I am sorry Gérard but I don't understand that Picture :scratch:please, what does that mean ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 2 Sep - 21:50

Muriel,

Don't worry about the picture itself.
Grammarly deals with correct American language and the text is more important.
Remember it's not a funny picture or a joke, it's a lesson of grammar.

The picture just means American language.
Don't make yourself the subject of everything.
Sue gave the tickets to Rob and me.
Not
Rob and I
The bold tells you what's important:
Subject has got several possible meanings, here it's grammar.
The sentence says that words that come after "Sue gave the tickets to..." are not a SUBJECT but an OBJECT (complement).
So "... to Rob and I" (which is too often wrongly said) is incorrect. As an object, the correct sentence is "... to Rob and me".
("I" is grammatically a subject; "me" is grammatically the corresponding object)

Using "Rob and I" makes you a subject of the sentence.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 2 Sep - 22:00

Thanks a lot Gérard !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 2 Sep - 22:09

You're welcome Muriel.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 3 Sep - 16:23

hello everyone !
i did not know what the crotch was. It is  the region of the body where the legs join the torso,

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 3 Sep - 17:15

Muriel,

I'd have said a bit lower.
I hope you'll remember, though it's not a word you'll use daily ;)To remember it, try to use it 3 times tomorrow.

Dernière édition par gerardM le Mer 4 Sep - 17:46, édité 1 fois (Raison : typo)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 4 Sep - 10:48

Very difficult and embarrassing ! Sad

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 5 Sep - 19:34

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1239788_647984135220580_1423337889_n
(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 6 Sep - 10:51

The future of texting?
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1176347_647935738558753_483043351_n
(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 9 Sep - 1:23

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 7847_649853625033631_1019490562_n
(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 9 Sep - 8:30

gerardM a écrit:Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1236856_649853405033653_653057666_n
For those who don't know, "cheesy" means "cheap and unpleasant"

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 9 Sep - 19:27

A boy answers the phone. The caller asks, "Where are your parents?"
"They ain't here!"
"Come on, son. Where's your grammar?"
"My gramma ain't here neither. She's gone to church!"
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1230010_649853811700279_1330991673_n

Here I've to explain:
In American,
grandma/gran/granny is the grandmother,
gramper/gramps/grandpa is the grandfather.

There're lots of other casual words used for grandparents.

NB: "ain't here neither" is incorrect in English
(double negative that the Brits hate
- Americans use it though)

Something weird:
- the Brits hate double negatives (they don't care about pleonasms)
- the French hate pleonasms (they love double/triple negatives)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 10 Sep - 14:08

Grammarly
This is what happens when you use text speak in an SMS to a lover of correct spelling.
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1000972_650646538287673_569956590_n

> text speak
Note "text speak".
I may not have read thoroughly enough
but I had in mind "text speech"
Anyway!

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 11 Sep - 15:13

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1043860_651390818213245_1688286304_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 13 Sep - 22:19

gerardM a écrit:
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 3 1236903_651392534879740_1222222971_n
Hi Gérard ! Hi everyone ! why can't he speak globish like everyone else ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 3 sur 27 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Suivant