Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Animal farm from George Orwell

4 participants

Animal farm from George Orwell Empty Animal farm from George Orwell

Message  MurielB Lun 2 Déc - 8:41

Animal Farm is an allegorical and dystopian novel by George Orwell, published in England on 17 August 1945. According to Orwell, the book reflects events leading up to the Russian Revolution of 1917 and then on into the Stalin era in the Soviet Union.[1
Hello Marine Henri Gerard everyone.
I have also read "animal farm" from Orwell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm
Do you have any comment about it ?

Dernière édition par MurielB le Ven 17 Jan - 9:19, édité 2 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Animal farm from George Orwell Empty Animal Farm (G. Orwell)

Message  Philippe-Henri Lun 2 Déc - 10:32

MurielB a écrit:
Animal Farm is an allegorical and dystopian novel by George Orwell, published in England on 17 August 1945. According to Orwell, the book reflects events leading up to the Russian Revolution of 1917 and then on into the Stalin era in the Soviet Union.[1
Hello Marine Henri Gerard everyone.
I have also read "animal farm" from Orwell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm
Do you have any comment about it ?
I can’t remember whether or not I read Orwell’s Animal Farm. At any rate, this reading must have been interesting for readers of that immediate after-war time. Today, I daresay it might just interest nostalgic people who pine for the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, or perhaps a few students who are doing a master degree in modern history. Time, since more than half a century, has gone by. Meantime, world and society have changed dramatically. Stalin died in 1953. The Soviet Union is dead and done. We’ve got the Cold War and the New World Order conspiracy. We’ve got the Oil crisis, the Financial crisis. Our economies have been suffering from the impact of Globalization. Cards have been shuffled thoroughly to new moral and geopolitical values. Human life, living conditions, energy sources and survival of our planet are currently depending on sustainable development. This is how Orwell’s Animal Farm would look like today.

Philippe-Henri

Philippe-Henri

Lieu : Lille
Langues : Néerlandais (Langue maternelle), Fr, Gb

Animal farm from George Orwell Empty Animal Farm (G. Orwell)

Message  MurielB Lun 2 Déc - 17:59

Thank you for your words Henri. I enjoyed "Animal farms" because the story is simple but true. When the animals take over the farm, they think  all animals would be  equal, nice to one another and would share everything. Anyway a group of animals finally took control (The pigs) and the animal condition became  worse than before the "taking over "That 's the way it goes isn't it ?
Any comment please  ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Animal farm from George Orwell Empty Orwell's Animal Farm

Message  Philippe-Henri Lun 2 Déc - 20:40

MurielB a écrit:Thank you for your words Henri. I enjoyed "Animal farms" because the story is simple but true. When the animals take over the farm, they think  all animals would be  equal, nice to one another and would share everything. Anyway a group of animals finally took control (The pigs) and the animal condition became  worse than before the "taking over "That 's the way it goes isn't it ?
Any comment please  ?
Orwell’s Animal Farm is allegoric. I believe that this allegory is − as Muriel put it − «simple but true». Aesopus, Horace, Livy, La Fontaine, Grimm, Andersen, Perrault and even Walt Disney portrayed animals as humans. Konrad Lorenz showed that the human species, both biologically and in its behavioural pattern, belongs to the same genus as its cousins, which we call «animals». So the moral of Orwell's story is: give people power and they’ll behave like pigs…

Philippe-Henri

Philippe-Henri

Animal farm from George Orwell Empty Re: Animal farm from George Orwell

Message  Guilaine Mar 3 Déc - 12:11

Hello dear readers of "Animal Farm" by Orwell,

This book impressed me a lot when I read it. And I often think the mesage it conveys is true : as P.H. says: "give people power and they behave like pigs", more exactly like the pigs of the story "with an emphasis on their beast-like characteristics : the eventual progress by the pigs to the two-legged human stance, amazing and terrifying to the rest of the normally quadruped farmworkers".

The book is a satire on the Stalinist period of Russian history. For me, it is a warning of what seems to Orwell the inevitable fate of mankind, given certain conditions, and the ultimate objective of powerseekers and demagogues of any country.

I can't help reporting this particular witty amendment to the original Commandment of Animalism : "All Animals are equal - but some are more equal than others".
Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Animal farm from George Orwell Empty World of Books

Message  Invité Mar 3 Déc - 21:15

Muriel, thank you for the advice about Aldous Huxley, I will buy the book.

I read Animal Farm and found it interesting. And made me want to read more of his works, but unfortunately I read other things and forgot about it. But now it gave me this envy again ! ( Thanks for reminding me ! )

In a way, it made me think about Brecht's piece, called The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui. Both used different ways to speak about the history, even if it's both different things.

Invité
Invité

Message  MurielB Mar 3 Déc - 22:35

Thanks Guilaine, Henri Marine for your comments ! Marine good luck for reading that book !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Animal farm from George Orwell Empty Animal farm from George Orwell

Message  Philippe-Henri Mer 4 Déc - 19:12

"All Animals are equal - but some are more equal than others". Orwell’s seventh Commandment of Animalism is obviously a mocking paraphrase of article 7 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: «All [human beings] are equal [before the law…]»

Philippe-Henri

Philippe-Henri

Message  MikouteB Ven 1 Avr - 13:38

Tom Treasure a écrit:
Tom Treasure a écrit: Minutes of a meeting of the English Book Club of the British Association of the Cote d’Opale
Saturday 19th March at the Mediatheque of Calais

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Michael Spriggs introduced the author and his book. George Orwell (real name Eric Blair) was born in 1903 in India. His family were colonialists in the time of the British Empire. He later fought against Franco’s fascism in the Spanish Civil war and developed a deep seated opposition to totalitarian government. Animal Farm is an allegory of the revolution of the animals rising up against the landowning farmer who was a drunkard and treated them badly. The animals united to drive out their cruel “overlord” and set up a new order based on communist principle.

Major was the old pig who had a dream which he related to them explaining how they would henceforth be equals, sharing the work and turning away from being under the authority of human beings. Quite quickly the pigs dominated perhaps as the more intelligent of the animal mastering reading and writing and certainly the most determined of them. Michael explained how Major represented Marx and two of the younger pigs, Snowball and Napoleon represented Lenin and Stalin. Once again the animals were subjugated but now not by humankind but by the pigs and their enforcers, the dogs.

Michael had printed some extracts which he gave to Caroline, Tom and Stephanie to read and interpolated further explanations and background.

A lively discussion followed. After a very entertaining and informative exchange of ideas and opinions over nearly two hours Stephanie closed the meeting and we had tea. Our next book will be Charley and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl which will be introduced by Caroline Tindall at our meeting on Saturday 16th April at 2:00 pm at the Médiatèque.

Procès-verbal d'une réunion du club de lecture anglais de l'Association britannique de la Côte d'Opale
Samedi 19 mars à la médiathèque de Calais

Ferme pour animaux de George Orwell

Michael Spriggs a introduit l'auteur et son livre. George Orwell (vrai nom Eric Blair) est né en 1903 en Inde. Sa famille était des colonialistes à l'époque de l'empire britannique. Il a ensuite combattu le fascisme de Franco dans la guerre civile espagnole et a développé une opposition profonde au gouvernement totalitaire. Animal Farm est une allégorie de la révolution des animaux se levant contre l'agriculteur du territoire qui était un ivrogne et les traitait mal. Les animaux soient unis pour chasser leur «superficie» cruelle et mettre en place une nouvelle commande basée sur le principe communiste.

‘Major’ était le vieil cochon qui avait un rêve qu'il leur a raconté expliquant comment ils seraient désormais égaux, partageant le travail et se détourner d'être sous l'autorité des êtres humains. Très vite, les cochons dominaient peut-être comme plus intelligent de la lecture et de l'écriture de la maîtrise des animaux et certainement les plus déterminés d'eux. Michael a expliqué comment le major représenté Marx et deux des plus jeunes cochons, Snowball et Napoléon représentaient Lénine et Staline. Encore une fois, les animaux ont été subjugués mais non pas par l'humanité mais par les cochons et leurs responsables, les chiens.

Michael avait imprimé des extraits qu'il a donnés à Caroline, Tom et Stephanie pour lire et il interpola d'autres explications et contexte..

Une discussion animée a suivi. Après un échange très divertissant et informatif d'idées et d'opinions sur près de deux heures, Stephanie a clôturé la réunion et nous avons eu du thé. Notre prochain livre sera Charley et la chocolaterie par Roald Dahl qui sera introduite par Caroline Tindall lors de notre réunion le samedi 16 avril à 14h00 à la Médiatèque.

MikouteB

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es ch