Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

French words in the English language

3 participants

French words in the English language Empty French words in the English language

Message  gerardM Dim 3 Aoû - 15:40

Hi everyone,

A very big percentage of English words come from the French.

I'll write more later on the subject but I'll begin with 2 little points to laugh at English.
No nasty remarks from my mouth (I think English people are very respectful and make big efforts to pronounce our words while we, French, are rather ridiculous)

So, many English words come from the French... since 1066 and since then, meanings often diverged and led to funny misunderstandings.

Sometimes, English people made mistakes, 2 points:

-1- yesterday, Krystyna pronounced the word "lingerie"; I thought she was speaking French and to me there was a mistake regarding the pronunciation, so I told her.
She explained to me sha was speaking English and her pronunciation was quite right.
The spelling is "lingerie" but the pronunciation is Br "l&nZ@ri:, US %lA:ndZ@"reI
The pronunciation is very different in British and in American English. I don't know about Hachette-Oxford symbols but Americans pronounce langeré with a long "a" in the first syllable.
... I wonder where the guy who took the word heard this... possibly, a train was passing by and they didn't hear well... Smile

-2- I sometimes wonder if another guy was not thinking of something else when they created the word "cold"! It's exactly the opposite of the French!!
Is it the French "chaud" that he took?? In French, according to the region (Oc or Oï) , we have two roots for our words and sometimes we use "ch" and sometimes "c/k" (château/castel chataigne/castagne, chaux/calcaire...) anyway, let's take the Italian word "caldo": didn't they take either word to lead to their very close "cold"? The problem is that the meaning was not the good one! Wink

Dernière édition par gerardM le Dim 3 Aoû - 16:20, édité 1 fois (Raison : typo in the title)

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

French words in the English language Empty Re: French words in the English language

Message  gerardM Dim 3 Aoû - 15:48

What do you think regarding French words in English?

Are they numerous?
Are they properly pronounced?
Are there problems?
What about false cognates?
Aren't the Brits right sometimes? Don't they keep words that we abandoned?

Thanks for your comments and stories.

gerardM

French words in the English language Empty Re: French words in the English language

Message  MurielB Dim 3 Aoû - 22:32

Hi everyone
For those of you who don't know any French words used in the English language, here is a good link
http://www.englishteachermelanie.com/pronunciation-30-french-words-used-in-english-video/

I think that French words in the English language represent culture (positive aspect) but also  somehow connote a form of stuffy elitism (negative aspect)

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 3 Aoû - 22:35, édité 1 fois

MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Espéranto, Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  Didier B Sam 9 Aoû - 9:49

Interesting link, thank you Muriel.
gerardM a écrit: I sometimes wonder if another guy was not thinking of something else when they created the word "cold"! It's exactly the opposite of the French!!
Is it the French "chaud" that he took?? In French, according to the region (Oc or Oï) , we have two roots for our words and sometimes we use "ch" and sometimes "c/k" (château/castel chataigne/castagne, chaux/calcaire...) anyway, let's take the Italian word "caldo": didn't they take either word to lead to their very close "cold"? The problem is that the meaning was not the good one! Wink
This reminds me of the Spanish word aceite which always brings to my mind the French word acétique, and thus vinegar, while it means ... oil. Rather confusing.
Of course, cold, close to cool and German kalt, is from an i.-e. root cognated to French geler and glace, but not to chaud.

Didier B

Lieu : Paris
Langues : Fr (Langue maternelle), Gb(Us),De, Ar, Ru

Message  gerardM Mar 19 Aoû - 23:11

Hi everyone,

I opened this thread thinking of all the English words coming from the French.
I don't remember the percentage but it is very high.

Words were picked up all along history but especially around 1066.
It's not surprising that after a thousand years, a word diverged both in French and English so that nowadays similar words can be tricky with very different meanings.

False cognates can be embarrassing for example when a Frenchman thinks that "to annoy" is something soft like "to bother" while it's rather strong; same situation with "to demand" which is not "demander".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 19 Aoû - 23:19

To illustrate false cognates, here's an article from the blog "Franglish": Faux Amis

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 20 Aoû - 8:24

Thanks Gérard for that very interesting link ! I will read it again to remember !

MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 20 Aoû - 22:37

You're very welcome Muriel.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 20 Aoû - 23:10

(désolé, je ne sais pas pourquoi je me suis mis à écrire en Français)

Rebonjour à tous,

En 1066, tous les Anglais ne parlaient pas Français mais il y avait certainement tous les lettrés (il s'agissait d'un très grand pourcentage de Normands et d'un petit pourcentage d'autochtones).

Regardez les devises de la Royauté Britannique :
- "Dieu et mon droit"
- "Honi soit qui mal y pense" (sic - un seul "n")
- d'autres

Une chose qui me touche beaucoup est qu'à l'époque, les langues (de l'aristocratie anglaise et des Français de Normandie) étaient les mêmes et le sens des mots a divergé inévitablement dans chacune des 2 parties en 1.000 ans.

En cherchant un peu, on imagine la racine et l'origine du mot...

Par exemple, lorsqu'on s'arrête sur "to expect", ça semble bien loin de "s'attendre à" mais si nous considérons notre expression un peu sophistiquée "dans l'expectative", les choses deviennent plus évidentes, non ? Il semblerait que nous ayions oublié certains mots !

De manière semblable, c'est grâce à l'Anglais que j'ai appris le mot Français "procrastination" ; l'Anglais a conservé plusieurs mots avec cette racine Française quand le Français les a supprimés.

De très nombreux mots Anglais semblent différents du Français mais c'est parfois parce que ce n'est pas la langue Normande qui est devenue la langue Française : ainsi, "castle" est-il loin de "château" ? peut-être mais pas tant que ça si on pense qu'à l'époque, on disait "castel" et donc, c'est peut-être nous -Français- qui "avons tort" Wink
Il y a de nombreux exemples de ce genre !

L'Anglais est encore plus près de notre langue qu'on le pense parfois et, de mémoire, les linguistes considèrent que ce sont 75 % des mots Anglais qui sont d'origine Française (ils disent bien origine Française et pas origine latine).
Apprendre l'Anglais, c'est par certains côtés, mieux apprendre, mieux comprendre notre langue !

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 21 Aoû - 16:30

Hi Gérard, everyone.
Yes the "faux amis" teach us a lot. I have found more and I am sure there are a lot more.  
http://www.expression-anglaise.com/les-faux-amis-nom/

[th][/th][th][/th][th][/th]
a tissueun mouchoir en papierEt non pas un tissu qui se dit "fabric"
AgendaOrdre du jourEt non pas un agenda qui se traduit généralement par "Diary"
an apology (to apologise)une excuse (s'excuser)et non pas une apologie
an appointmentun rendez vousEt non pas un appointements
an armun brasEt non pas une arme
affluenceune richesseEt non pas une affluence
cameraappareil photos
delayretardEt non pas un délai
an engineun moteurEt non pas un engin
grapesraisinEt non pas une grappe de raisin qui se dit "bunch of grapes"
a journeyun voyageEt non pas une journée
a libraryune bibliothèque
a medicineun medicamentEt non pas un medecin qui se traduit par doctor
a bachelorun célibataireEt non pas un bachelier qui se traduit par graduated
a dateun rencard
a Disagreementun désaccordet non pas un désaagrément
an agreementun accord, ou une convention de stage
a hazarddangeret non pas hasard qui se dit chance en anglais
EventuallyfinalementEt non pas eventuellement qui se dit posibly
FortunateChanceuxEt non pas fortuné qui se dit "Wealthy"
a habitune habitudeet non pas un habit qui se dit "clothe"
a phraseune expressionEt non pas une phrase qui se dit "a sentence". On peut également dire an expression en anglais pour désigner une expressiosn
A routeun itinéraireet non pas une route qui se dit "road"
SensibleraisonnableEt non pas sensible qui se dit "sensitive"
a toura voyage, un circuitet non pas un tour
a vacationvacanceEt non pas une vacation et encore moins une vocation
a storeun magasinEt non pas un store qui se dit "blind"
a suitun costumeEt non pas une suite
delayretarddélai = time limit / deadline
an evidenceune preuveune evidence = an obviousness
EventuallyFinalement
Rudeimpoli, grossier
a painune douleurpain = bread

MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 21 Aoû - 16:46

Thanks for your list Muriel.
Yes there are far more.

gerardM