Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

American English at State

2 participants

Page 6 sur 27 Précédent  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Suivant

American English at State - Page 6 Empty Re: American English at State

Message  gerardM Mar 6 Déc - 22:03

MurielB a écrit:... Those who break the rules should be severely judged shouldn't they ?
Muriel, you can't severely judge our biggest heads (politicians, businessmen),  can you?

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  MurielB Mar 6 Déc - 22:44

why not ! in the name of equality !

MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Espéranto, Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Mar 6 Déc - 23:36

Muriel, by "judge", I meant in front of a court, just because crooks make the laws.
Now you can think.
Now you can even vote... you might not have the choice as crooks built walls to prevent people from choosing.
Charles de Gaulle instituted a vote by the people; after him MPs instituted the necessity to get oodles of signatures by MPs: the result is that the elections are managed by the Parliament, like before de Gaulle. That's one of the reasons I call them crooks.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 7 Déc - 14:02

Yes Gérard the polititians make laws which serve their own interest but that doeś't bring them happiness!

MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 7 Déc - 20:45

Have you ever been tempted to skim money off the top? To skim (off the top means to secretly and illegally take money that belongs to an organization or business you work for. Does this sometimes happen in your country? Friday (December 9) is International Anti-Corruption Day. What can individuals do to help stop corruption?

American English at State - Page 6 15326611_10155073658184123_164385380121378003_n

> Does this sometimes happen in your country?
Oh yes! National sport for some politicians Wink

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 7 Déc - 20:48

Are you mediocre at something? Do you want to become better at it? Today's word is "mediocre." This means not very good or only average. What can you do to become better at something? #AmericanEnglish #vocabulary

American English at State - Page 6 15267893_10155073568664123_545944704847444380_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 7 Déc - 23:27

Gérard the word mediocre sounds very French and i don't know its English pronunciation . I would rather use average. Am I right ?

Dernière édition par MurielB le Jeu 8 Déc - 9:59, édité 1 fois

MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 8 Déc - 9:45

MurielB a écrit:Gérard the word mediocre sounds very French and i don't know its English pronunciation . I would rather use average. Am I right ?
> it's
its  affraid

The pronunciation is   mi:diˈōkər

No you're not right to avoid the word as it's not a synonym of average.

When you want a pronunciation (and don't have a computerized dictionary), ask Google Translator and you can hear.
However, the main part of the pronunciation is the tone of the sentence (and the word).

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 8 Déc - 10:03

Thanks Gérard for my mistake its (I was typing with my smartphone )and for The prononciation advice Very Happy

MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 8 Déc - 11:48

MurielB a écrit:Thanks Gérard for my mistake its (I was typing with my smartphone )and for The prononciation advice Very Happy
Pronunciation

Muriel, how come? your never made this mistake Wink
(sorry if I frown but your En skills usually are at an automatic level)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 8 Déc - 22:04

Do you sometimes struggle with phrasal verbs? This month's #AmericanEnglish #TeachersCorner includes a short explanation of transitive and intransitive phrasal verbs. Check it out! 

American English at State - Page 6 Safe_image.php?d=AQB-5bWGfLhbHsFb&w=158&h=158&url=https%3A%2F%2Famericanenglish.state.gov%2Ffiles%2Fae%2Fstyles%2Fthird-width-311x197%2Fpublic%2Fresource_images%2Fweek_4

American English | For English Language Teachers Around the World
American English is a website for teachers and learners of English as a foreign language abroad.
AMERICANENGLISH.STATE.GOV

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 8 Déc - 22:09

Has someone ever tried to pay you off? One meaning of the phrasal verb "pay off" is to give someone money so that he/she will do something bad or dishonest for you or so he/she will not talk about something. Tomorrow (December 9) is International Anti-Corruption Day. How can we help to stop corruption in the world?

American English at State - Page 6 15420836_10155078622629123_6076516260084293485_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 8 Déc - 22:12

In the past month, what is something you did "on a whim"? A whim is a sudden desire, idea, or decision. To do something "on a whim" means that you do something suddenly and without planning. Example: Last night, I learned a new song on bass guitar "on a whim."  #AmericanEnglish #vocabulary

American English at State - Page 6 15380361_10155078522479123_4990135051428480572_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 9 Déc - 22:48

Yes I can say that I eat chocolate on a whim. Now i buy 90 percent black chocolate (Not so tasty) Sad  because i do want to get rid of that whim !

MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 10 Déc - 16:24

Is your work usually meticulous? #AmericanEnglish #vocabulary

American English at State - Page 6 15400414_10155087943714123_3412162642422433885_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 10 Déc - 23:09

Gérard a écrit:Is your work usually meticulous? 
Working meticulously is to give a lot of attention to détails. As far as language learning is concerned,you can't learn meticulously all the time. When you talk to somebody in the language you are learning, you try first and foremost to have a good communication with the person in front of you. It is the same when you read a book. What is important is to enjoy the story. You don't have to look every word up in the dictionary.

MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 11 Déc - 17:37

Do you drink coffee or tea in the morning? Or do you drink neither? Learn how to use the words "either" and "neither" with this #AmericanEnglish graphic!

American English at State - Page 6 15380683_10155091810924123_5663145193571526274_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 11 Déc - 22:04

Yes it is very useful to know the difference. What about the pronunciation ?
There are two common pronunciations of "either": British /ˈaɪðər/ and American /ˈiːðər/

t
There are two common pronunciations of "neither": British naɪðər/ and American /ˈniːðər/

MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 12 Déc - 17:17

What did you do over the weekend? I got together with friends, did some housework, and went shopping. #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 6 15338808_10155095591534123_2831342820049797773_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 12 Déc - 22:47

"I had some friends over" and I got together with friends" are two expressions worth remembering as they sound very good English

MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 13 Déc - 15:52

Is your improvement in English tangible? #AmericanEnglish
[size=12]
American English at State - Page 6 15442188_10155099827064123_8118751064627803297_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 13 Déc - 15:56

Do you ever LOL when reading a text message? LOL is an abbreviation that means "laugh out loud." Here are other casual texting abbreviations. Remember, these are VERY informal and are not considered standard ways of writing! Also, it's important to use full words and sentences as often as possible when learning a language. It's good to know these abbreviations, but don't overuse them!
[size=12]
American English at State - Page 6 15390805_10155099699644123_5746024527577520426_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 13 Déc - 16:01

Do you want to send a letter to the U.S.? Here's how you address an envelope to send to the U.S. Do you write and send letters to anyone? Do you ever send mail to other countries? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 6 15492591_10155099615919123_8189402493890753320_n
[/size]

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 13 Déc - 22:14

Hi Gérard !
Thanks a lot for it is high time we sent cards to English speaking countries. I have already received one from England.
When you write to America never write 7 like thatAmerican English at State - Page 6 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJ1N5MIJclNmjOJFd7Jc-V2POWSAkNZ33q91BQ1Br3eusG6_pmtA they won't understand and your letter won't get where it has to go on time.

MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 17 Déc - 21:51

We want to get your best advice! What do you do when you have a sore throat? A stomachache? A fever? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 6 15541527_10155114114779123_5438143100839052125_n

gerardM

Page 6 sur 27 Précédent  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Suivant