Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

American English at State

2 participants

Page 5 sur 27 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Suivant

American English at State - Page 5 Empty Re: American English at State

Message  MurielB Lun 14 Nov - 21:01

As you know our morning activities are different now !

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  gerardM Lun 14 Nov - 22:57

MurielB a écrit:As you know our morning activities are different now !
Don't you get dressed any more? Smile

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB Mar 15 Nov - 14:52

You know Gérard, after our grand children have left, we have to repair everything in our house and it is a full time job ! Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 15 Nov - 21:18

LOL
I see.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Nov - 17:25

Have you ever "gone off the deep end"? Learn the meaning of this phrase with this  #AmericanEnglish graphic and  VOA Learning English video

American English at State - Page 5 15037143_10155021672479123_8356847041706314479_n
[/size]

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Nov - 17:37

This, that, these, & those. Do you sometimes confuse these words? This is your chance to learn more about them with our  #AmericanEnglish graphic. Practice by using each of these words in a sentence.

American English at State - Page 5 15027980_10155021611524123_1988261690347499172_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 19 Nov - 17:52

gerardM a écrit:Have you ever "gone off the deep end"? Learn the meaning of this phrase with this  #AmericanEnglish graphic and  VOA Learning English video

American English at State - Page 5 15037143_10155021672479123_8356847041706314479_n
[/size]
Don't you think it's the spice of life !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Nov - 15:58

Do you often go the extra mile for your family or friends?  #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 5 15095523_10155029943974123_6642148510143467067_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Nov - 16:02

Do you enjoy going to parties and meeting new people? Did you know "enjoy" is followed by a gerund (verb+ing) and not an infinitive (to + verb)? Learn more about verbs that use gerunds or infinitives with this #AmericanEnglish graphic. What do you need to do this week at your job?

American English at State - Page 5 15107437_10155029887619123_1080738763680239383_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 23 Nov - 21:54

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. Learn new vocabulary and practice your listening skills while reading and listening to this conversation about Thanksgiving. What holidays in your country are about being thankful?  #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 5 Safe_image.php?d=AQCZ-u4NPjtSgUjW&w=450&h=236&url=https%3A%2F%2Fshare.america.gov%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F11%2FThinkstockPhotos-469222552

Everyday conversations: Thanksgiving | ShareAmerica
Practice American English by reading and listening to these real-world everyday conversations. Here, students discuss celebrating their first...
SHARE.AMERICA.GOV|PAR SHAREAMERICA

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 23 Nov - 22:02

It is important that everyone look at this graphic about the subjunctive! What else is important that people do?  #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 5 15220065_10155035118079123_7396879998735893024_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 24 Nov - 14:07

Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at #AmericanEnglish! We are thankful for our Facebook followers. What are you  #thankful for?

American English at State - Page 5 15203178_10155037746834123_7073136399427474457_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 27 Nov - 20:15

When someone turns you down, what do you do to feel better? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 5 15230746_10155045356779123_5951147586912093409_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 27 Nov - 20:21

"Hmmm ... I wonder if this graphic will be useful." Learn "filler words" (such as "hmmm") with this #AmericanEnglish graphic. Filler words don't have meanings, but some people use them in spoken English to fill pauses in their speech while they think or hesitate. Are there "filler words" in your native language(s)?

American English at State - Page 5 15171211_10155045298299123_8666518207166035487_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 30 Nov - 15:57

"Small talk" is informal, friendly conversation about unimportant subjects. In the U.S., the weather is a common subject of "small talk." What subjects are "small talk" in your country?

American English at State - Page 5 15283901_10155053148134123_5703303277398440627_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 30 Nov - 16:07

What strategies help you to learn English? Today's #AmericanEnglish #VerbOpposites: help & hinder. How will you help someone today?

American English at State - Page 5 15179040_10155053093749123_4499078431167078263_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 30 Nov - 22:07

Gérard
"Hinder" is a verb I never us spontaneously. I would rather use "Prevent from"

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 30 Nov - 22:41

MurielB a écrit:Gérard
"Hinder" is a verb I never us spontaneously. I would rather use "Prevent from"
To hinder = to block, to delay, or to prevent" (not only "to prevent").
"To prevent" is only one of the aspects... to hinder and to prevent are not interchangeable; you cannot replace to hinder by to prevent in "The poor economy hindered my chance of success".

hinder  vtr

1 (hamper) entraver [development, process, career]; faire obstacle à [proposals, reform]; (delay) freiner [progress, efforts]; retarder [plan];

2 (prevent) empêcher [action]; retenir, arrêter [person]; to hinder sb in their efforts to do gêner les efforts de qn pour faire.
prevent vtr prévenir [fire, illness, violence]; éviter [conflict, disaster, damage]; faire obstacle à [marriage]; to prevent the outbreak of war/the introduction of reform empêcher le déclenchement d'une guerre/l'introduction de réformes; to prevent sb/sth from doing empêcher qn/qch de faire; to prevent sb/sth from being criticized empêcher que qn/qch soit critiqué; to prevent sb's death empêcher que qn ne meure.
( Hachette-Oxford Dictionary)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 1 Déc - 14:13

Do you like to go to restaurants? Learn vocabulary related to restaurants with this #AmericanEnglish graphic. Stay tuned! We'll post a graphic about ordering in a restaurant later today.

American English at State - Page 5 15317877_10155055697489123_5806807643894534349_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 1 Déc - 21:47

Gérard a écrit:We'll post a graphic about ordering in a restaurant later today.

You will be welcome with your graphic about ordering in a restaurant. Such important vocabulary ! Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 3 Déc - 22:05

Do you enjoy learning English? Do you like learning about gerunds and infinitives? Learn some verbs that are followed by gerunds (not infinitives) with this #AmericanEnglish graphic. What do you miss doing (that you used to do as a child)?

American English at State - Page 5 15241776_10155061593354123_6167295514664310545_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 6 Déc - 16:41

Did you know that the verb "get" has more than 50 uses? Learn more about the verb "get" with this VOA Learning English article. Did you get any letters, emails, or messages today?

American English at State - Page 5 Safe_image.php?d=AQDzPNx94wmUYbj-&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgdb.voanews.com%2F6C3F8A52-B0EA-4464-A935-C54C7EBF44EB_cx3_cy3_cw92_mw1024_mh1024_s

Getting to Know the Verb 'Get'
Getting to Know the Verb 'Get’ From VOA Learning English, this is Everyday Grammar. So, Alice, what did you do last night? Well, I was at home,...
LEARNINGENGLISH.VOANEWS.COM

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 6 Déc - 16:49

What do you think of a person who lines his or her own pockets? "To line one's pockets" means to take or get a lot of money by doing something illegal or dishonest. Does this sometimes happen in your country? Friday (December 9) is International Anti-Corruption Day. What can individuals do to help stop corruption?

American English at State - Page 5 15380327_10155070103969123_7223565968002618664_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 6 Déc - 21:15

gerardM a écrit:
Did you know that the verb "get" has more than 50 uses? Learn more about the verb "get" with this VOA Learning English article. Did you get any letters, emails, or messages today?

American English at State - Page 5 Safe_image.php?d=AQDzPNx94wmUYbj-&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgdb.voanews.com%2F6C3F8A52-B0EA-4464-A935-C54C7EBF44EB_cx3_cy3_cw92_mw1024_mh1024_s

Getting to Know the Verb 'Get'
Getting to Know the Verb 'Get’ From VOA Learning English, this is Everyday Grammar. So, Alice, what did you do last night? Well, I was at home,...
LEARNINGENGLISH.VOANEWS.COM

There is still a feeling that almost any use containing get is somewhat informal. I suppose it is better not to use it when you write to your boss !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Mar 6 Déc - 21:20

gerardM a écrit:
What do you think of a person who lines his or her own pockets? "To line one's pockets" means to take or get a lot of money by doing something illegal or dishonest. Does this sometimes happen in your country? Friday (December 9) is International Anti-Corruption Day. What can individuals do to help stop corruption?

American English at State - Page 5 15380327_10155070103969123_7223565968002618664_n

Those who break the rules should be severely judged shouldn't they ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 5 sur 27 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Suivant