Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English)

+8
pierreP
Tregouet
JeanPierreD
Guilaine
gerardM
Remy
MurielB
FabTheFrog
12 participants

Page 15 sur 16 Précédent  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Suivant

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English) - Page 15 Empty Re: Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English)

Message  MurielB Mer 29 Mar - 21:29

So what could be the real reason Trump is abstaining from this grand presidential tradition?
probably because he wants to be different.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English) - Page 15 Empty Re: Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English)

Message  gerardM Mer 29 Mar - 22:30

MurielB a écrit:
So what could be the real reason Trump is abstaining from this grand presidential tradition?
probably because he wants to be different.
I guess you put the finger on it Muriel.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB Jeu 30 Mar - 13:54

yes Gerard but "when someone wants to be différent" they CAN be better Very Happy or worst affraid

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 30 Mar - 14:26

MurielB a écrit:yes Gerard but "when someone wants to be différent" they CAN be better Very Happy or worst affraid
(... worse)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 30 Mar - 14:38

No Just for you Muriel.
Here's what people who are different, are able to say (and my comment):

Donald Trump Promised 'Clean Coal,' But It Doesn't Exist
His latest executive order appears to be built more on a marketing myth than an…

HUFFINGTONPOST.COM|DE - ALEXANDER CHARLES KAUFMAN

92 commentaires

Gérard Mélone ... pants on fire!

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 1 Mai - 12:10

Howdy.

Let's not confuse among*:
- Wikipedia -Labor Day
- Wikipedia -May Day
- Wikipedia -International Workers' Day

As you can read, the 3 are not the same; Labor Day is celebrated in the US on the first Monday of September.
Still in the US, May Day is dedicated to flowers and spring.

NB:
among* - Was I right?
For me, "between" is used when there're 2 alternatives only, "among" is used for more than 2. Any comments?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 1 Mai - 22:34

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/fr/grammaire/grammaire-britannique/between-or-among

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Lun 1 Mai - 22:37

For me, "between" is used when there're 2 alternatives only, "among" is used for more than 2. Any comments?
MurielB a écrit:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/fr/grammaire/grammaire-britannique/between-or-among
We use between to refer to two things which are clearly separated. We use among to talk about things which are not clearly separated because they are part of a group or crowd or mass of objects:
I agree with you Gérard !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Lun 1 Mai - 22:42

gerardM a écrit:Just for you Muriel.
Here's what people who are different, are able to say (and my comment):

Donald Trump Promised 'Clean Coal,' But It Doesn't Exist
His latest executive order appears to be built more on a marketing myth than an…

HUFFINGTONPOST.COM|DE - ALEXANDER CHARLES KAUFMAN

92 commentaires

Gérard Mélone ... pants on fire!
Gérard your comment
pants on fire
is extremenly relevant !

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 24 Mar - 9:27, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 1 Mai - 22:43

> I agree with you Gérard !
(between vs among)
:-)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 17 Juin - 14:30

RT:Jeff Lewis @ChicagoPhotoSho
Bezos: "Alexa, buy me something from Whole Foods"
Alexa: "Buying Whole Foods"
Bezos: Shit

Can anyone tell me about Alexa pls?

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 17 Juin - 14:40

gerardM a écrit:
RT:Jeff Lewis @ChicagoPhotoSho
Bezos: "Alexa, buy me something from Whole Foods"
Alexa: "Buying Whole Foods"
Bezos: Shit

Can anyone tell me about Alexa pls?
Here's the response to my question
Smile

-> Jeff Bezos says we have it all wrong about Amazon's Alexa

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 19 Juin - 20:33

The Top 10 Most Gerrymandered States In America – Rantt
If the Supreme Court rules against gerrymandering this year, these congressional seats may be up for grabs.
RANTT.COM

Side-question: take a look at the meaning of "rant".

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 19 Juin - 23:04

Do you know what gerrymander is ?

gerrymander

vb  
1    to divide the constituencies of (a voting area) so as to give one party an unfair advantage  

2    to manipulate or adapt to one's advantage  
      n  
3    an act or result of gerrymandering  
     (C19: from Elbridge Gerry, US politician + (sala)mander; from the salamander-like outline of an electoral district reshaped (1812) for political purposes while Gerry was governor of Massachusetts)  
  gerrymandering      n  

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 20 Juin - 0:33

gerardM a écrit:...

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 20 Juin - 19:07

When you were a child, were you ever "in hot water" for something silly? Admin was always "in hot water" for talking too much in class. #AmericanEnglish
[size=12]

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 20 Juin - 22:23

gerardM a écrit:
gerardM a écrit:...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rant

Definition of rant
[list=definition-list]
[*]intransitive verb
[*]1 :  to talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner
[*]2 :  to scold vehemently
[*]transitive verb
[*]:  to utter in a bombastic declamatory fashion
[/list]

ranter

noun

rantingly

[url=javascript:void(0)]play [/url]\ˈran-tiŋ-lē\ adverb

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 20 Juin - 23:02

Did you know "rant"?

I learned it about 5 years ago as a colleague was writing a monthly chronicle named "My rants".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 27 Juil - 23:30

Taos Police Department

Hello everyone! The Taos Police Department will be conducting Selective Traffic Enforcement throughout the Town and we ask that you obey our traffic laws and ordinances as you travel through so you won't have to visit our Municipal Judge.
Thank you!

Are the police as funny and kind in your area?
Remember that the police is elected in the States or at least the Sheriff hence the behavior.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Aoû - 19:36

May I, or not?
Shall I, or not?
scratch

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Aoû - 19:39

Rumor says Mark Zuckerberg will be a candidate for the next presidencies...

I personally don't know but he tagged Mitt Romney's message againt Trump's behavior:
(I put it here as it is written in good American)

Mitt Romney

I will dispense for now from discussion of the moral character of the president's Charlottesville statements. Whether he intended to or not, what he communicated caused racists to rejoice, minorities to weep, and the vast heart of America to mourn. His apologists strain to explain that he didn't mean what we heard. But what we heard is now the reality, and unless it is addressed by the president as such, with unprecedented candor and strength, there may commence an unraveling of our national fabric.
The leaders of our branches of military service have spoken immediately and forcefully, repudiating the implications of the president's words. Why? In part because the morale and commitment of our forces--made up and sustained by men and women of all races--could be in the balance. Our allies around the world are stunned and our enemies celebrate; America's ability to help secure a peaceful and prosperous world is diminished. And who would want to come to the aid of a country they perceive as racist if ever the need were to arise, as it did after 9/11?
In homes across the nation, children are asking their parents what this means. Jews, blacks, Hispanics, Muslims are as much a part of America as whites and Protestants. But today they wonder. Where might this lead? To bitterness and tears, or perhaps to anger and violence?
The potential consequences are severe in the extreme. Accordingly, the president must take remedial action in the extreme. He should address the American people, acknowledge that he was wrong, apologize. State forcefully and unequivocally that racists are 100% to blame for the murder and violence in Charlottesville. Testify that there is no conceivable comparison or moral equivalency between the Nazis--who brutally murdered millions of Jews and who hundreds of thousands of Americans gave their lives to defeat--and the counter-protestors who were outraged to see fools parading the Nazi flag, Nazi armband and Nazi salute. And once and for all, he must definitively repudiate the support of David Duke and his ilk and call for every American to banish racists and haters from any and every association.
This is a defining moment for President Trump. But much more than that, it is a moment that will define America in the hearts of our children. They are watching, our soldiers are watching, the world is watching. Mr. President, act now for the good of the country.

gerardM

Réflexions sur la culture et les différentes cultures, Reflexion on Culture and on the different cultures (Mixture of French and English) - Page 15 Empty La politesse ne passe pas par le bisou

Message  gerardM Jeu 7 Sep - 23:15

Bonjour à tous,

Il m'est arrivé d'être irrité qu'une de mes petites filles ne me fasse pas de bisou pour dire au revoir, pour remercier...

J'avoue que ce lien donné par mon amie Laetitia me convainc.

Baby Montessori

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 7 Sep - 23:22

Gérard je suis d'accord de ne pas obliger un enfant à faire un bisou. Cependant il faut leur montrer que dire "bonjour merci s'il vous plait", sont comme des ondes positives qui relient les humains entre eux et que c'est important.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 7 Sep - 23:27

Les paroles ne sont pas comme le corps : il s'agit de relations sociales mais leur corps n'appartient qu'à eux et, avec la pédophilie...

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 1 Oct - 18:15

Scientific American

"At first glance, research into emotion and nonverbal communication suggests that there is nothing threatening about kneeling. Instead, kneeling is almost always deployed as a sign of deference and respect."

The Psychology of Taking a Knee
The backlash against protests by Colin Kepernick and other athletes raises all sorts of scientific questions
BLOGS.SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM

gerardM

Page 15 sur 16 Précédent  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Suivant