Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Do you spit English ?

3 participants

Do you spit English ? Empty Do you spit English ?

Message  MurielB Ven 22 Jan - 22:16

Why Speaking English May Spread More Coronavirus Than Some Other Languages (forbes.com)
New research suggests that English speakers put more droplets into the air when they talk, which may make them more likely to spread COVID-19. Since the novel coronavirus is spread by droplets, how spitty a language is might contribute to different rates of the disease. It all comes down to something called aspirated consonants, the sounds we make that spray more droplets of saliva into the air.

Hi everyone ! 
The prevalence of aspirated consonats [p], [t], [k]  in the English language makes the English and the Americans more likely to spread the virus because they tend to spit!

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Do you spit English ? Empty Re: Do you spit English ?

Message  Zoey Sam 23 Jan - 12:19

Very interesting fact. Thankfully, we are all wearing masks so this shouldn't be a problem anymore!

I don't know if you are interested in this correction, but [p], [t] and [k] sound like the french consonants, in English it's mostly [pʰ], [kʰ] and [tʰ], you can hear that sort of "breathing"/"h sound" when you pronounce words like "pause", "part", "Kate" or "tilt" for example. This little h sound is also one of the keys for a good natural-sounding English accent, if you don't pronounce it you'll most likely sound like a foreigner. Though, there could be an English accent that doesn't have this sound, I don't know about that.

Hope this was interesting, I learnt that in phonetics classes at university Smile
Zoey
Zoey

Lieu : Bordeaux
Langues : Français(L. mater), English, Chinese

Message  MurielB Sam 23 Jan - 18:16

Thanks Zoey for your very interesting words about phonetics. You are more than welcome when you want to comment on what I have written Let’s keep our face-masks on because we all love speaking in English don’t we?

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  Zoey Mer 27 Jan - 14:16

Yes, let's haha! Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't speak English in real life, only with online friends, so it's ok I won't spit on everyone with my Shakespearian tongue haha!
Zoey
Zoey

Lieu : Bordeaux
Langues : Français(L. mater), English, Chinese

Message  Remy Mer 27 Jan - 22:30

Most French people drink wine, and they don't spit on it. To my mind, that's the reason why.

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb