Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

TV Decoder Box & Language possibilities

2 participants

TV Decoder Box & Language possibilities Empty TV Decoder Box & Language possibilities

Message  gerardM Sam 2 Mar - 13:06

Hi everyone,

Most of us can now get TV from an electronical system along with Internet access and various other functions such as Wifi in the house, file storage, replay, etc. depending on the provider.
Others receive TNT, also through a device.

Remember...

Nowadays, TV (I should say system because it's not the TV set but the box or the provider) gives you sophisticated functions and especially -that's why I post this- Language possibilities.

In addition, films are often foreign (American) ones (eg TF1)...

It depends on your own system but it's worth checking: take a look at your remote.
You should be able to get the original voices and language: if the film is an American one, you should get the American voices, maybe with American subtitles (initially designed for the Deaf) or French subtitles.
There are many helpful possibilities to help you learn.

In several foreign countries, things are designed for learning and they don't broadcast the local language but English only, or German only... this way, the Dutch, the Swede, the Dane, etc. are proficient in several languages. Things are done from childhood and citizens learn easily: pronunciation, vocabulary, tone, everything is taught, grammar comes later but it's the natural method like for mother teaching or primary school teaching ie perfect skills and for ever.

Of course, you can also get help with CDs, DVDs, radio, etc.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

TV Decoder Box & Language possibilities Empty Re: TV Decoder Box & Language possibilities

Message  Invité Sam 2 Mar - 15:11

Bonjour,

This function is great on my Freebox.
I can have English voices for American movies, and/or I can have French voices with French sub-titles (then I can read what I am not understanding or hearing)
There is also the limited possibility of AudioDescription on some channels.

I really LOVE my Freebox !

Invité
Invité

TV Decoder Box & Language possibilities Empty Re: TV Decoder Box & Language possibilities

Message  MurielB Sam 2 Mar - 17:11

Hi Krystyna, Gérard everyone
The free box is great because the best way to learn is to be able to hear the language you are studying and in the same time read the subtitles in the language you are studying. It is no good when it is translated into French in the subtitles.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Sam 2 Mar - 20:59

Hi Krystyna, Muriel, hi everyone,

Another good opportunity to practice English on TV is to listen to the news with BBC, CNBC, SkyNews, BFM Business, Bloomberg, Euronews and others; American or British, it's up to you.
A nice point is that we more or less know about what the speaker is going to say, that helps.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 2 Mar - 21:09

Hi again,

Oh, a very handy system I could see at Microsoft's is when the words said by people on a stage were displayed on the screen.
The system is very fast and I can assure you it's not fake but live: it's impressive to see the system writing a wrong half of the word that was half-pronounced then fixed when the guy goes on with the sentence.
I can tell you I couldn't see any mistake and it's very handy when you didn't catch the words of a dodgy American accent. I don't spend my time in conferences throughout the world and saw this at Microsoft's only and in English only.

Microsoft very often speak about instant translation in conversations: still a project but they are working on it.

gerardM