Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

5 participants

Page 5 sur 27 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Suivant

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 Empty Re: Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

Message  MurielB Ven 18 Oct - 8:10

There's no way to approach anything in an objective way. We're completely subjective; our view of the world is completely controlled by who we are as human beings, as men or women, by our age, our history, our profession, by the state of the world.
Charlie Kaufman
gerardM a écrit:
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1376328_710925355587275_627366306_n
Thank you punctuations for your help ! Wink

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 434432271_837995898367711_696139415373841831_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2285d6&_nc_ohc=oayqvB2kHVAQ7kNvgH883zj&_nc_ht=scontent.flil1-1
La langue c'est Le Lien, Language is The Link, La Lengua es el Nexo de unión, Sprache ist die Verbindung, Il Linguaggio è Il Legame, La Lingvo estas La Ligilo etc.
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Espéranto, Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 Empty Re: Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

Message  MurielB Ven 18 Oct - 19:16

gerardM a écrit:

NB: "Y" is a consonant.
I am amazed about that. It is ? really ?

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 434432271_837995898367711_696139415373841831_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2285d6&_nc_ohc=oayqvB2kHVAQ7kNvgH883zj&_nc_ht=scontent.flil1-1
La langue c'est Le Lien, Language is The Link, La Lengua es el Nexo de unión, Sprache ist die Verbindung, Il Linguaggio è Il Legame, La Lingvo estas La Ligilo etc.
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Oct - 21:03

Hi Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:
gerardM a écrit:

NB: "Y" is a consonant.
I am amazed about that. It is ? really ?
Excellent question!

Now that I want to check, I get different responses:
- (Oxford Dictionary) http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/vowel
Grammar
A word with two meanings: In writing, the five letters  a  e  i  o  u In speech, sounds made with the mouth open and the airway unobstructed (by contrast with consonants, where the flow of air is briefly obstructed in some way). The exact number of vowels depends on regional accent, but there are more than twenty English vowels.
There's no "y" in there.
- (About.com) http://grammar.about.com/od/tz/g/vowelterm.htm
Definition:
A letter of the alphabet (a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y) that represents a speech sound created by the relatively free passage of breath through the larynx and oral cavity.
Sometimes...
also
•"Written English has five proper vowel letters, A, E, I, O, and U (Y may substitute for I). Yet spoken English has some 20 shades of vowel sounds. Accordingly, our vowel letters are kept busy, each one symbolizing multiple sounds on any written page. Our letters get some help from rules of spelling, which, for example, can specify the long A of 'rate' versus the short A of 'rat.'"
(David Sacks, Letter Perfect. Broadway Books, 2004)
also
•"In written English, . . . the 26 letters of the alphabet comprise 5 vowels and 21 consonants. In spoken English, there are 20 vowels and 24 consonants. It is this discrepancy, of course, which underlies the complexity of English spelling."
(David Crystal, How Language Works. Overlook Press, 2006)
- (UsefulEnglish.ru - Russian site) http://usefulenglish.ru/phonetics/english-vowel-sounds
Note 1: The letter Y

The letter Y can function as a vowel or as a consonant. As a vowel, Y has the vowel sounds [i], [ai]. As a consonant, Y has the consonant sound [y] (i.e., a semivowel sound), usually at the beginning of the word and only in the syllable before a vowel.

[i]: any, city, carry, funny, mystery, synonym;

[ai]: my, cry, rely, signify, nylon, type;

[y]: yard, year, yes, yet, yield, you.
- (Wikipedia) http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel
These letters are vowels in English:
A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes Y
The letter Y can be a vowel (as in the word "cry" or "candy"), or it can be a consonant (as in "yellow").

These five or six letters stand for about 20 vowel sounds in most English accents.[1] This important fact helps to explain why pronunciation can be difficult for both native speakers and learners of English.
The rest of the letters of the alphabet are consonants:
B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, V, W, X, Y (sometimes), and Z

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Oct - 21:08

So Y is sometimes a vowel, sometimes a consonant. LOL

Is the letter Y a vowel or a consonant?
The letter Y can be regarded as both a vowel and a consonant. In terms of sound, a vowel is 'a speech sound which is produced by comparatively open configuration of the vocal tract, with vibration of the vocal cords but without audible friction...', while a consonant is 'a basic speech sound in which the breath is at least partly obstructed'. The letter Y can be used to represent different sounds in different words, and can therefore fit either definition.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Oct - 21:14

Hi Muriel,

I do like these words (copied and pasted here above:
•"In written English, . . . the 26 letters of the alphabet comprise 5 vowels and 21 consonants. In spoken English, there are 20 vowels and 24 consonants. It is this discrepancy, of course, which underlies the complexity of English spelling."
The 5 vowels provide 20 sounds.

Several months ago, I wrote texts of my own stating an English vowel could have up to 8 sounds.
I think I'm not far from the truth as the same sounds are written with different vowels: consider sun, cow, book, weather, far from their original letter.
To the 20 sounds, I guess we must add the diphtongs.

NB: I posted "ough" had 8 different sounds.
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1384368_675540339131626_1400067689_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 20 Oct - 15:36

gerardM a écrit:Hi Muriel,

Several months ago, I wrote texts of my own stating an English vowel could have up to 8 sounds.
I think I'm not far from the truth as the same sounds are written with different vowels: consider sun, cow, book, weather, far from their original letter.

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1384368_675540339131626_1400067689_n
Thank you Gerard for all these
explanations
I understand why English spelling is so difficult.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Dim 20 Oct - 15:36

gerardM a écrit:Hi Muriel,

Thank you Gerard for all these
explanations
I understand why English spelling is so difficult.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 20 Oct - 17:19

Hi Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:
gerardM a écrit:... I understand why English spelling is so difficult.
I don't know if we can say English spelling is difficult or at least if this is the Englishmen's fault:
- grammar/speeling is nothing, (vocal) language is the most important
- we French, cannot hear all of the English sounds and especcially the differences in the pronunciation of "homophones"
- there are a few rules (oh not many) that the French don't even know (for example, that the "i" (French i) sound implies a double consonant when in the middle of a word
- I read in a history of English that at the time of Scandinavian invasions, English had other letters than the current ones. Later the letters were simplified so that grammarians had to find a new way to write the sounds and their solution was to use kinda diphtongs, hence the "ough" which was used for many issues.
That's why I wrote "this is the Englishmen's fault" and "language is the most important".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 22 Oct - 14:12

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1393493_678370995515227_639627507_n

I've got a question:
Grammarwise, what's the difference b/w somebody and anybody?
Are they perfect synonyms?
Can we use somebody for all forms: affirmative, interrogative, negative?

Tx for your answers.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 23 Oct - 11:41

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1378436_678557458829914_166340035_n
(click pic to enlarge)

NB: This pic is designed for EMTs.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 25 Oct - 16:25

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1375921_679780635374263_1315833867_n
Hence "box".

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 26 Oct - 21:39

gerardM a écrit:Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1393493_678370995515227_639627507_n

I've got a question:

Tx for your answers.
Hi Gérard
The word somebody is used in affirmative clauses, whereas the word anybody is used in negative and interrogative sentences
Read more at http://www.englishpractice.com/grammar/somebody-someone-anybody-anyone-etc/#vh2pypjy8SsAxvSF.99

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 26 Oct - 22:12

MurielB a écrit:
gerardM a écrit:I've got a question:

Tx for your answers.
Hi Gérard
The word somebody is used in affirmative clauses, whereas the word anybody is used in negative and interrogative sentences
Read more at http://www.englishpractice.com/grammar/somebody-someone-anybody-anyone-etc/#vh2pypjy8SsAxvSF.99
In fact, it was not "a question" but several Wink

Muriel, thanks for the link.
However, you don't respond to my questions and I don't agree with the page LOL.
- sorry but "anybody" can be used in affirmative sentences eg "Anybody can use my computer" (different meaning than "somebody"). The Internet page you refer to gives the example "
If you need anything just tell me.": it sis an affirmative form, isn't it?
- somebody and anybody are not perfect synonyms (cf previous point)
- somebody can be used in interrogative sentences as well but I personally prefer "anybody"
- somebody cannot be used in negative sentences, but "not anybody" or "nobody".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 1 Nov - 16:35

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 944291_683414878344172_1140533368_n
LOL
Looks Grammar geeks are not good at math:
no need to teach this as everyone understands easily.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 3 Nov - 23:24

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1385628_684843648201295_389511647_n
(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 4 Nov - 22:30

gerardM a écrit:
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1390486_682908428394817_1139472344_n
I wish I were. Too good !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 5 Nov - 10:19

From Grammarly.com, we have to expect a usual mistake.

Here, the correct sentence should of course be: "Help! I am stranded on a desert island!"

In English, the nouns desert and dessert are pronounced similarly.
What is noticeable too is that "desert" can be a noun, a modifier or a verb and that -as often in English- there's a difference in the pronunciation between noun and verb so that people can understand the difference in the function.
- the pronunciation of the noun and the modifier is "dez@t
- the pronunciation of the verb "to desert" is dI"z3:t exactly like the noun "dessert".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 5 Nov - 11:55

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1457607_685651581453835_44503096_n
Would you know the right answer,
then you would be more knowledgeable than many EMTs.
Congrats!

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 5 Nov - 17:59

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 484740_685652674787059_1075444631_n

Grammarly

PSA: You should now only use one space after a period. Why? The most popular reasoning goes as follows.

The habit of using two spaces comes from a time when most typewriters used monospaced fonts, which were easier to read with two spaces at the end of a sentence. Nowadays, most fonts on computers are proportional and the extra space doesn’t improve readability. Instead it makes it seem that your text is pocked with holes.

If you want to read more into the debate, check out this blog post “Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong (or, the lies typographers tell about history),” http://bit.ly/1iH3Qoe

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 6 Nov - 18:28

gerardM a écrit:Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1457607_685651581453835_44503096_n
Would you know the right answer,
then you would be more knowledgeable than many EMTs.
Congrats!
Grammarly
QUIZ ANSWER: “Just lay the keys on the table.”

Thanks to Mary Ann K. for her explanation of lay versus lie!

"Lay" because this is a transitive verb meaning to put or place an object on to a surface. Another example might help to clarify this: hens lay eggs. Nowadays "to lay" is frequently used incorrectly to denote the intransitive verb "to lie", which can be used to signify either position (the keys lie / are lying on the table) or motion (I lie down on the table). "To lay" appears to be used intransitively in the sentence "The hens are laying well"; however, the object (eggs) is implied. Transitive means having a direct object; intransitive means not having a direct object.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 7 Nov - 18:22

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 5 1395388_686633284688998_280795521_n
(click pic to enlarge)

I remind you that Grammarly mainly criticizes mistakes made by EMTs.
Do you know these expressions above?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 7 Nov - 18:51

No I didn't know the first three.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 7 Nov - 19:35

As you used the simple past, I assume that you managed to find the 3 expressions, to understand and to remember.

I don't understand why the first comment says: "Margot MacKay It's a moo point. It's like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter...It's moo."
Confusing!
If there's a mistake leading to "mute point", it means the true word prolly is moot and not moo; are there two expressions?.
"moot point" does exist and "that is a moot point" means "c'est difficile à dire".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 7 Nov - 20:02

Hi,

The author is an English teacher... I'm a bit disappointed to find mistakes in his texts.
I'm just beginning my reading and:
"It is an easier way then the above mentioned methods. She never studied English in school and spoke only a few words when we meet."
"•If you religious"
"I have notices women love to do grammar and book work while guys prefer conversation, ironically."
( http://claritaslux.com/blog/easiest-way-to-learn-a-language/ )
scratch 
WTH

~~

Easiest way to learn a language
•Make your own language flashcards and carry them with you. I have a box of several thousand words and phrases.
•Download audio mp3s and use them. There are many places to go, such as the gutenburg.org. I am starting a free site with audio mp3s for language learning www.mp3languagelearning.com – If you send me files I can use them on the site.
•If you religious read the entire Bible in your target language. By the time you finish you will speak the language
•Buy a grammar book and do every exercises in the book and outline the rules
•Practice with native speakers, that alone will help, if you are somewhere in the middle of Kansas try Internet chats.
(sorry there are mistakes in the text above)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 7 Nov - 21:16

Ok Gérard, there are a few mistakes. Anyway there are a few very useful learning tips.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 5 sur 27 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Suivant