Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

trick or treat halloween

3 participants

trick or treat halloween Empty trick or treat halloween

Message  MurielB Ven 31 Oct - 13:47

don't forget to buy sweets and candies for the little ghosts and little witches who will knock on your door and ask you
Knock knock, trick or treat?

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

trick or treat halloween Empty Re: trick or treat halloween

Message  gerardM Ven 31 Oct - 14:25

Muriel, will you go with your grandchildren through Calais to get candies?
Did you buy a bucketful of candies?

Is it common in Calais?

I know Krystyna bought candies for the kids... I will go there to get yummy treats Wink

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB Ven 31 Oct - 21:15

Hi Gérard !
It has just begun to be Celebrated in Calais. Some people do it others don't. Anyway children love it. I have been doing that all day with my three grandchildren and I am exhausted ! They went poney riding last Monday and Tuesday so they were also able to join the riding school Halloween party. It was fun !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  Invité Ven 31 Oct - 23:59

Hi everyone.

Where I live, celebrating halloween is very common.

I have been to a pub today and it was fully decorated with spider webs, banners, skulls, etc.. And the waiters had some costumes as well. It was really nice !

In the town, few people has a costume. The evening coming, a lot of children came and knocked the door. " Trick or Treat " ? They had treats from us.

Some were really cute and came with their parents. Some were about 4 years old, it is just melting my heart. Smile

Invité
Invité

Message  gerardM Sam 1 Nov - 15:12

Krystyna had 4 kids; kids who live in the building as there're oodles of digicodes to access.
I don't know if they went because they knew she is Australian or she looks like a witch Laughing

In addition to candies, she also had led candles changing colors and kids were marveled (single "l" in Am) at them.

Krystyna is very careful about giving wrapped candies. She told me that there had been problems in the US as "smart people" gave candies full of marijuana thinking it was funny. Sad

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 1 Nov - 21:28

Hi Marine and Gérard !
Hallowyn is fun for children
"smart people" gave candies full of marijuana thinking it was funny
why are some people so crazy ??? It's unbelievable !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 1 Nov - 23:35

Muriel,

Some people think marijuana is good and should be taken by everyone.
What's that herb chewed by indians of South America to heal everything?

The outcome of thise events in the US is that nowadays parents are often going with their kids: a pity.

gerardM

Message  barnetto Dim 2 Nov - 16:05

It is best to take those kinds of stories with a grain of salt. Stories about children intentionally being poisoned finding razors or needles in their candy usually can't be confirmed or turn out to be hoaxes (sometimes, they are jokes kids play on their parents!).

In the case of this year's panic over the possibility that children might be given marijuana laced candies, there is only one confirmed incident and that was an accident, not intentional. You can read about it here in this article:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2014/10/27/the-man-who-accidentally-gave-kids-marijuana-on-halloween/

You can read about the false spread of such stories here:
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/halloween/taintedcandy.asp

Anyways, this is really sad. When Halloween first started (well before I was born) it was common to give children homemade treats.

"Knocking on strangers' doors for goodies then became more common, but it wasn’t candy that was handed out at first. Trick-or-treaters would have received homemade items like cookies, cake, or popcorn balls, in addition to apples, coins, and small trinkets."
http://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/homemade-halloween-treats-colorfully-packaged-candies

barnetto
barnetto

Lieu : US
Langues : Anglais ( langue maternelle), français, espagnol

Message  gerardM Lun 3 Nov - 1:08

Thanks for detailed explanations.

gerardM